Hometown - Soobin [part 2] 🔞

The cold gray elevator doors open to a dimly lit hallway. The onyx colored walls look modern, but being here in the middle of the night feels eerie. I pause in the middle of the hallway, turning around like I might find him hiding around the corner to scare me.

I check my phone again. He said he'd meet me by the elevators.

My eyes find a door across the hallway, open just a crack. A stream of warm light pours out from under the frame and I hear the beat of a song escaping out into the hallway.

I don't know who else could be here at this time, but knowing Soobin he probably lost track of time and forgot to meet me. So I step closer, eventually pushing the door open just enough to find him sitting at his desk.

"Soobin?" I call out, stepping inside completely before I close the door. But he doesn't hear me. He's hunched over his desk, clicking around his laptop. His reddish hair looks scruffy under his headphones. He must've been running his hands through it without noticing.

Watching him feels intimate, like I'm back in high school, sneaking glances at him in class. He then shakes his head, like he's trying to wake himself out of a dream.

"Oh hey- you found me," he turns around suddenly, pulling his headphones down as he shoots me a dimpled smile.

"You forgot to meet me at the elevators, so..." we both laugh nervously as he turns around in his swivel chair to look at me.

"I'm sorry- I just-" he stammers, scratching the back of his neck as he shoots me a nervous smile until he notices the plastic bag in my hands. "Oh! Is that for-"

"Oh yeah- I got you some food..." I say, fidgeting with the plastic around my fingers. "I know you always get hungry late at night, so..."

"That's very sweet of you," he smiles, his cheeks getting rosy.

I look away, my body feeling light at the way he's looking at me. I wonder if he's reminiscing like I am.

"Anyway-" I smile, stepping closer to him. "Are you working on something?"

"Yeah," he responds, turning back around to face his laptop. "Taehyun suggested I do a cover, so I've been listening to this song..." he clicks a button on the computer and a slow beat starts playing. "Do you know it?"

I place the bag of food on his desk and listen to the lyrics closely.

So what about these feelings I've got?
We got it wrong, and you said you'd had enough
What about these feelings I've got?
I couldn't be more in love

"It sounds familiar, but I don't know it," I say finally, gazing down at him as he taps his fingers to the beat of the song.

"It's I Couldn't Be More In Love by The 1975," he says, humming along to the song. "I really like it-"

"It's nice..." I nod, turning to look at him over my shoulder. "But I think Taehyun's voice would go well with it."

He stares at me without blinking, his mouth slowly dropping open. "Danbi- are you-"

"No, I'm kidding!" I laugh, giggling into my hand. "The look on your face-"

"Yah... you're always teasing me," he says, laughing with me as he looks down at his lap. "But what did you really think?"

He looks up at me with wide eyes, waiting for me to say something about it. To go with him to that place in his mind where I believe the lyrics are true.

That he couldn't be more in love.

But just then he pushes his glasses up his nose and leans back down over his laptop. He twists one of the knobs on the mixer next to my hand, brushing his fingers against mine.