Chapter 35

Zion and I had a serious conversation the next morning and he expressed his unease with the friendship between Arlen and I. He claimed Arlen didn't exactly hold the same feelings I had concerning our relationship and conjured the possibility that Arlen could be interested in me further than friendship would otherwise allow.

I listened carefully as he spoke, trying to understand the points he was making and asked occasional questions regarding the "evidence" he was proclaiming.

"The pen," Zion said simply.

I frowned. "Not the stupid pen."

Zion sighed. "That's the first reason. If I had a limited edition Percy Jackson pen, do you think I'd give it to you?"

"Yes," I replied.

"Exactly," he said. "Because I love you. And Arlen is obviously interested in you."

I looked up at the ceiling, considering the possibility that I hadn't previously seen.

"The phone calls, the hug at the tournament, his excitement to play video games with you," Zion said. "Do you not see it? And those are just the things I have seen. I doubt he hides his emotions when he's in class with you."

I thought about what he was saying. It made sense.

"I'm only saying this because I don't want to lose you," Zion said. "Otherwise, I wouldn't give a shit. But I don't want Arlen to jeopardize what we have."

"Okay," I said.

"Okay?" he asked, tucking his hair behind his ear.

"I'll talk to him," I said. "I see it's bothering you and I don't want you to feel anxious or worried that Arlen is going to come between us. That'll never happen."

He reached over and traced the back of his fingers down my cheek and grinned.

"Thanks for understanding," he said.

I grabbed his wrist and tangled my fingers in his.

"Of course."

---

I arrived at campus shortly after getting ready and thought about how I would bring up such a sudden conversation with Arlen. I wasn't sure how to start.

Sliding into my typical seat beside him, he smiled warmly at me and I offered one back, pulling out the notebook I used to doodle in rather than taking notes.

"I had a great time playing with you and Alec," Arlen said as the professor walked in.

"Me too," I said and turned my attention to the front of the room.

The lecture dragged on and I found myself fighting to keep my eyes open. It was a losing battle as they occasionally stayed closed for a few seconds longer than I had wanted them to and almost jumped when I realized they hadn't been open. I wasn't interested in the lecture.

Well, the professor began to erase the notes he had taken on the board that I had neglected to write down and I assumed class was over. Arlen began packing his stuff up and I took it as my cue to do the same.

The two of us walked out together as we usually did and I tried to notice signs of the "interest" Zion claimed he had in me.

A shoulder bump as we walked. A grin spread across his lips the entire walk back. Laughter.

I wasn't sure if those things constituted being interested in me or if he was just being friendly.

Even so, I had to have a conversation with him. I told Zion I would.

Upon reaching my car, I stopped outside and Arlen raised an eyebrow.

"What is it?" he asked me.

"How've you been?" I questioned. "You know, since the whole Amber situation."

"I'm doing alright," he answered. "It was shocking but I'm sure it would have been much more difficult to get over if I didn't have you."

"What do you mean?" I asked slowly.

"You've been there for me when I needed someone to talk to and take my mind off of it. I really appreciate how you had me come over your house too," he explained.

"Oh," I said. "I mean, that's what I'm here for as your friend."

He smiled. "Yeah."

"So... have you been looking for something since the breakup?" I asked.

"Oh my god," he said. "I completely forgot to tell you."

"Tell me," I said, eagerly.

His smile widened. "I'm going on a date tonight."

A rush of excitement and relief consumed me.

"That's great!" I said. "With who? Where are you going?"

"Her name is Isabella," he said. "She sits behind you in class and we occasionally talk before you get there. We're going bowling."

"Awesome," I said. "I'm sure you'll have a great time."

"Thanks," he said. "If things go well, I might not have much time to hang out with you anymore."

I patted him on the shoulder. "Don't worry about it. I understand."

He laughed. "Yeah. Thanks for everything though. Really. I'm grateful we became friends."

"Of course," I said. "Me too. Have fun tonight."

He nodded and gave a small wave. "See you."

---

I couldn't wait to tell Zion the news and burst through the front door once I arrived home. Assuming he'd be in the kitchen eating ramen, I checked there first and sprinted up the stairs after discovering he wasn't there.

Pushing open his door, I found him sleeping on his bed and walked over, plopping down beside him. Softly touching his arm, I whispered his name.

In an instant, he grabbed my forearm and pulled me over him and grinned up at me.

"You were pretending to sleep," I said, straddling his waist as he sat up.

He didn't reply and leaned in, softly pressing his lips to mine before pulling away.

I smiled and climbed off of him, laying down beside him.

"I spoke to Arlen," I told him.

"You did?" he asked. "And?"

I explained everything that happened and the things that Arlen told me. Zion was relieved.

"It must've been hard for you to have that conversation with him," he said. "I know how you are."

"Yeah," I said. "But I needed to. I wouldn't want to lose you either."

Wrapping both of his arms around me, Zion pulled me close and squeezed.

"I'm so lucky that you're in my life," he said, resting his chin on my head.

But I felt that I was the lucky one to have him in mine.

Of course, I was just as lucky to have Alec and Vincent too.

No matter how crazy I thought Alec was and how many times I woke up to Vincent dancing in my doorway, I wouldn't change a thing.

These three were the best housemates I could have asked for.

---

The End.

Thank you for reading this all the way through and for so long! I hope you enjoyed it (: