Chapter 6

If Alec thought I was going to follow him into the bathroom, he was even more deranged than I thought he was. Why the bathroom of all places? He was acting like a twelve-year-old and I wouldn't stand for it.

I crumpled the wrinkled paper in my hand and tossed it into the trash bin without a word nor glance back at my pretend boyfriend. Even though I had feelings for the guy, I had enough self-control not to make a fool out of myself.

Marcy's head soon turned toward me and I looked over at her as her eyes rose to look behind me as a figure approached my desk. I didn't get the chance to check who'd made an appearance because a warm hand soon snaked onto mine which held the mouse of my computer. Alec leaned his chest into my back and rested his chin on my shoulder as he looked at the contents of my computer screen.

"Too busy, eh?" he said in my ear as my entire body soared with warmth from his.

I tried to move the mouse in an effort to close out the screen but Alec's hand gripped mine hard and prevented it from moving.

"From the looks of things, that doesn't seem to be the case," he continued, finally pulling away.

Marcy watched our interaction from the corner of her eye and I knew my face was flushed from the way it was burning. Alec was too good at acting out our lie.

"I am busy," I said, switching tabs upon the release of my hand and Alec just laughed.

"Are you thinking of getting a tattoo?" Alec inquired after seeing the tab I had open previously.

"I was considering it," I said. "But I don't know what I'd get."

Alec's lips curved up in a grin. "My name."

Marcy choked over nothing and my mouth dropped open at the nerve Alec had to spew such embarrassing words. The worst part was I had to play along with his antics or I'd risk blowing our cover.

"I'll think about it," I managed to say through gritted teeth and forced a smile as my lips twitched.

Alec puffed out a laugh before leaving me in a flustered mess at my desk. It was painful, really. Having feelings for him that is.

I didn't want to but there was nothing I could do about it even though my confession failed about a year ago now. And yet, somehow, despite the rejection, I still found myself yearning for him.

Thinking about it though, perhaps I was in love with the thought of him. And the times we once shared. But things were different now.

Well, the day dragged on and I was relieved when it was finally time to head home.

Not a single word nor utterance of any kind was spared for the two men cooking dinner in the kitchen as I stalked past them, heading into my bedroom. My eyes were heavy and it was difficult to keep them open as I laid on my bed, eager for a little shut-eye. I sprawled my limbs out and laid there like that for a while, or so I'd hoped to until I heard my door creak open.

Opening my eyes slowly, they widened upon realizing who'd walked into my room.

"Thanks for knocking," I said as I watched Zion enter.

He too didn't spare a word for me and silently walked over to my desk before dropping an object onto it. He pulled his hand away and I looked at the tattoos that snaked up his arm, remembering my newfound interest in getting one.

Pushing myself up in bed with great strain, I halted my housemate as he approached my bedroom door to leave and peered over at my desk, frowning at the recognition of the object he'd placed there.

"I told you to throw that away," I said with a sigh.

Zion turned around, his blond hair tied back in a small ponytail as a few loose strands fell on his face.

"I got it fixed," he replied, his voice deep.

I raised an eyebrow. "You did?"

He simply nodded his head and folded his arms across his chest, his tattoos catching my eye for the second time.

"Why?" I asked, sliding off of my bed.

I carefully picked the necklace up in my hand and noticed it was no longer broken.

"It's important to you, isn't it?" he asked, leaning against the doorframe.

"It was," I mumbled, clutching the chain in my hand. "But it's not mine."

"Alec is an immature brat," Zion replied. "He's a fool when it comes to love."

I dropped the necklace back on my desk and turned to Zion.

"What're you talking about?" I questioned.

Zion let out a breath of air and pushed the loose strands of hair out of his eyes.

"You gave that necklace to Alec a year ago," he said as I felt my stomach drop.

"How do you know?" I asked him. "He told you?"

"No," he said. "I overheard you from the kitchen when I was eating ramen."

"Y-you heard everything?" I stuttered, mentally cursing myself for doing so.

"Probably," he replied vaguely.

"And you just now decide to tell me?" I said. "Oh god, I'm so embarrassed."

Zion's lips curved up in a small grin—a rare sight if I had to admit. He let out a laugh and a dimple revealed itself on the left side of his cheek. I couldn't find the humor in my embarrassment but apparently he could.

"Weren't you surprised?" I asked.

"That you were interested in Alec?" he said.

"Yeah," I said. "We're both guys."

Zion shrugged his shoulders. "There's nothing wrong with that."

I looked down at the ground as Zion reached for the doorknob and pulled the door closed.

"Cade," he said. "Do you still have feelings for Alec?"

I slowly lifted my eyes from the floor and looked into Zion's. Maybe it was because he was older and mature, but I felt like I could trust him.

"Yeah," I said quietly.

Zion smiled softly. "It's obvious."

"Then why'd you ask me?" I said, embarrassment once again washing over me.

He laughed again. "You probably told him you're over him now, right?"

"Well, yeah," I said. "I still have pride, you know."

"I see," he said.

"But now there's a little problem," I said. "Because of Vinny's prank, we've agreed to pretend to be dating at the office."

"Wow," Zion said as I waited for the laugh that never came.

"You're an idiot."

———
lemme know what you think (: