Chapter 5

I shoved the key into the lock vigorously and was angered when I couldn't get it open due to my eagerness. I wiggled it around in fury before finally unlocking the wooden door and pushed it open with force. It banged against the wall loudly and I hadn't bothered to close it, knowing Alec would be trailing in behind me any second.

I was a raging whirlwind as I bursted through the kitchen in search of the boy who thought it'd be wise to pull a stunt while I was at work.

"Where is he?" I seethed upon finding Zion sitting at the counter, eating a cup of ramen.

His hair wasn't pulled back in a bun as it usually was and it framed his face nicely. Though, I couldn't spend much time admiring the silkiness of his hair for long because I was currently on a mission to find a particular red-haired boy.

Zion slurped a bite of his ramen before he looked over at me. "What'd he do this time?"

It appeared as if the twenty-four-year-old knew Vincent too well.

Soon enough, Alec stalked into the kitchen, lazily stretching his arms above his head before sliding into the chair beside Zion.

"Aren't you mad?" I asked Alec who shrugged in reply.

"He probably wanted to get back at us for the time we put green hair dye in his shampoo," Alec said.

I breathed out and took a seat across from Zion.

"He must've known rumors would start in the office," I said. "From that damn present."

Alec laughed. "It was a good idea."

I frowned. "How so?"

But he didn't get the chance to explain.

"How'd you like your present, Alec?" Vincent's voice sounded as he slowly walked into the kitchen without a care in the world.

"I prefer red," Alec replied, reaching over to grab the box. My eyes widened when he pulled out the gift.

"A pair of panties, really?" I said, rolling my eyes.

"Hehe," Vincent snickered. "Fancy lingerie for his next woman."

"I hope you know you've probably caused rumors at our workplace," I said. "I'd watch out if I were you."

"Can't wait to see what you've got," Vincent said, a smirk spread on his lips.

Almost forgetting Zion was even there, I was surprised when he finally spoke up, pushing his ramen cup to the side.

"Is this anyone's?" Zion asked, dangling a golden necklace in his hand.

Alec's eyes met mine quickly before I looked back at the necklace I'd given him about a year ago that he yanked off of his neck upon my request.

"No," I said quickly. "Just throw it out."

"Hmm," Zion said, his dark brown eyes looking into mine. "Are you sure?"

I felt as if he knew something he wasn't supposed to.

"Yes," I answered. "It's a piece of trash."

Zion's eyes lingered on mine for a moment longer before he closed the necklace in his hand with no intention of obeying my words.

"That's a nice necklace," Vincent said. "If it's nobody's, can I have it?"

Zion slipped the chain into his pocket and shook his head.

"It belongs to someone, Vinny," Zion said, his eyes meeting mine once more.

I wasn't sure if Zion knew the story behind that necklace but I had my suspicions. I couldn't ask him in front of everyone though, and dismissed myself to my bedroom.

It wasn't long before two knocks sounded on my door as I glazed over assignments from my college classes at my desk.

"Come in," I said, releasing my pencil.

"Hey," Alec said and walked over, taking a seat on the edge of my bed, causing my chest to stir. "I've been thinking."

"That's odd," I joked. "About what?"

"The rumors that'll undoubtedly arise at work," he said. "Maybe we should just play along."

I narrowed my eyes. "Why the hell would we ever do that?"

"Everyone will leave me alone that way," he said. "You know, if they think we're together."

"So you want us to pretend we're dating while at work?" I rephrased.

He nodded his head simply. "Yeah."

"Don't you like the attention?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest. He was a dog after all.

"No," he said. "It's annoying."

Had I lost all of my pride that I'd agree to such absurdity? If I couldn't date him for real, was pretending to the next best thing?

When I didn't speak up, Alec took the initiative to.

"It won't mean anything," he said, running a hand through his dark hair. "You already told me your feelings for me are gone."

"I guess," I said. "But I'm not sure how to act in such a way."

Alec grinned. "Don't worry, I'll take the lead."

"Alec," I said, lifting my eyes to meet his. "You're a crazy motherfucker."

His eyes widened at my sudden statement.

"What?" he said.

"But perhaps, I am one too."

Because I decided to agree to his proposal even though I'd gain nothing from it while he would.

———

And so, the next day when the two of us arrived at work, most of our coworkers were quite shocked at the news of our relationship.

Some congratulated us while others glared in disdain but none of it mattered since the whole thing was a lie.

Anyway, when I slid in beside Marcy, I was surprised when she didn't greet me. She didn't even attempt to spill any gossip either.

And that's when I realized that my end of the deal entailed making enemies while Alec's end only rid him of annoyance.

"Marcy," I said as the woman kept her eyes focused on her computer screen.

"Hmm?" she hummed.

"Are you jealous?" I asked.

She turned her head to me. "Why would I be?"

"I thought you were interested in Alec," I said, leaning back in my chair.

"There's nothing I can do now," she said.

I couldn't think of a reply as a crumpled piece of paper landed on my desk.

Glaring back at Alec, he smiled warmly at me and I felt my face grow hot.

"Open it," he said, turning his back to me.

I unfolded the piece of paper and read his scratchy writing.

meet me in the bathroom

———
thx for reading (: