EIGHT

"Hello, Mr. Rodriguez," Helen said calmly, wearing the same creme suit from this afternoon. "I will be performing your memory recovery today. Memory recovery is imperative to maintaining peace and security to The Protection and for the overall well being of the organization." Julian nodded, and I felt my head nod in turn back in the elevator. 

I was fairly certain this request was customary, as was the expectation to involuntarily agree to it. Helen walked slowly to Julian, the cold metallic wand in her hand poised to steal whatever the chip within Julian's side possessed. She waved it methodically above his tenth rib, over a small tattoo. The blue UV light illuminated three small black lines - the symbol of a Protector. My own body ached to recall Kyler holding me in his arms, explaining to me what each line of the tattoo represented, my fingers tracing along his mark. My mind chose to stay with Julian as it was unable to bounce back and forth between bodies so easily.

The large television in the corner of the clinical room played Julian's memories and Helen stepped away from Julian and over to another individual. My father. He leaned against the wall, his hands in the pockets of his dress pants and his gray eyes weary and tired. He looked much different than the perfect and polished president of The Protection I witnessed earlier in the cafeteria. I glanced back to the television and watched, horrified, as the events of the summer played in chronological order. There was Julian standing outside my mother's front door the first day, hopeful, excited to have such a big assignment as I glared at him from the window of the green taxi. My body cringed at how hurtful I was to him at the beginning of our time together. My words were like hot venom, spewing out of my empty shell of a body.

Slowly the picture morphed into the scene of me crying and painting my hair in the bathtub as Julian stood in the hall, stoic, wishing he could reach out and comfort me. I never knew he felt so deeply for me, even back then, as terrible as I was to him. I didn't deserve his kindness. The picture shifted to the night of the concert and our argument as we entered my bedroom. I felt my cheeks flush, knowing exactly how this particular memory ended. Here we go. Sure enough, Julian leaned forward as I cried and kissed me slowly, passionately, before ripping my shirt down the middle and off my body. I reached for his shirt and pulled it over his head in return, exposing his strong, tattooed chest as I kissed my way up his chest and back to his mouth. He put his arms around me and unclasped my bra...

"Enough!" my father suddenly roared and the television went black with a wave of his hand. I felt Julian flinch a little in surprise. Not only was it customary to watch an entire recall, despite how cringeworthy it may be, but it was forbidden to stop it in mid-memory. The Protection had to ensure no deceit was performed late in the recall. Julian eyed my father, awestruck by how he could turn the television off with a flick of his wrist. No one ever discussed the full capacity of President Andrews abilities, only that he was incredibly powerful.

"President Andrews, sir, we have to finish the recall. It is protocol," Helen pressed, the look of delight apparent in her eyes, as was the glee in her voice in anticipation of viewing what other indiscretions I made over the summer. She enjoyed my public humiliation, especially in front of my father. Uncovering what a filthy, petulant, little whore his daughter was. How I was so absurdly undeserving of her only perfect son.

"We have seen enough, Helen. The path we created for her this summer was successful and that is all we needed." Helen recoiled at my father's briskness. It was obvious who was in charge, despite how self important she may act at times. "Julian, thank you for your service this summer," my father said, standing tall and extending a hand to Julian to help him from the medical table. "Because of your good work, I would like to extend a position in one of our most challenging areas south of Dallas. You may continue to stay at headquarters until we find you housing elsewhere." I felt Julian's surprise by the offer, considering how personal his position became this summer.

"Thank you so much, sir. I won't let you down," Julian promised, tugging his black T-shirt back over his head.

"Oh, and Mister Rodriguez, take good care of my daughter or you will be on the first flight home, with or without all your limbs." My father winked, but I felt the coldness behind it. Julian nodded and hurried out the door before they changed their minds and pulled the rest of his memories.