THIRTY-TWO

"Now that all affairs are in order," Protector Shillings said, eyeing me knowingly, "it's time we begin the demonstration." I flushed and wanted to crawl inside of my skin. 

Julian walked slowly back towards the center of the room and onto the black mat. Both men slipped off their shoes and were now only clad in their black athletic shorts. I wondered if they'd bow or shake hands, but Shillings simply raised and lowered her arms like a race car officiant. Kyler and Julian moved slowly at first, on the balls of their feet, engaged in some sort of primitive dance. I was mesmerized, on the edge of my seat, as I watched them circle each other. Over time, the movements became quicker and the circles tighter until Juilian's fist flashed out and connected with a loud crack against Kyler's cheek bone. Blood. It poured down his handsome face. I wanted to both cheer and scream at the same time. Kyler dragged his fingers across his face and swiped at the blood before smearing it across his chest, the red line making him look even more savage.

Julian danced away quickly as Kyler swung a fist in retaliation, his footwork a thing of art. I found myself oddly hoping Kyler landed a punch on him. The crowd around me mirrored my sentiment and became increasingly more agitated with each minute Julian expertly danced away. Kyler swung again and Julian ducked before hitting Kyler directly in the ribs, meritting another loud crack. He stood up and winked at me as Kyler remained hunched over. I felt like I was going to be sick. Julian beamed, begging the crowd for further applause, failing to notice Kyler had sprung up behind him and was closing the distance, fast. He turned back right in time for Kyler's hand to connect with his nose, causing blood to gush down his face and his head to snap back. The crowd went wild, pumping their fists into the air and slapping hands. I looked around helplessly and couldn't understand how anyone could appreciate watching such blatant violence. I had never even enjoyed boxing, and this was much worse.

Julian managed to dance away again, this time a little slower as his eyes watered and the blood continued to pour from his nose. They both moved off the mat, which seemed like it should be against the rules, but Shillings said nothing as she continued to watch, enamored by the show, with the rest of The Academy. Julian shook his head a few times to correct his vision before he quickly scaled the wall and jumped directly onto Kyler's shoulders, punching him repeatedly on the top of the head. I stood up, unsure if I should try to intervene. This had gone on long enough. 

Kyler shielded his head from blow after blow until he finally saw a window in the assault and grabbed onto the back of Julian's neck. He pulled down harshly, causing Julian to cry out as he sent him flying several feet into the air, landing flat on his back on the solid wood gym floor below. The bleachers erupted into applause as Kyler climbed on top of him, crushing his chest. Julian squirmed and tried to shield himself, but Kyler was too strong and heavy as he repeatedly punched him directly in the face. Eventually Julian's arms fell limp at his sides, but Kyler continued with the beating, his knuckles red with Julian's blood.

"Stop it! You're going to kill him!" I screamed, unsure if my voice was even audible above the rowdy applause, but Kyler hesitated and his eyes snapped up to meet mine for the first time in three months. They were now so dark they were almost black. Something was wrong. My stomach rolled as he slowly licked the blood from his upper lip. He smirked at me, his eyes sizzling as he reached down and closed his fingers slowly around Julian's neck, squeezing as hard as he could...