limits

Yuta walked in the door after taking the afternoon off from his usual day's work, he needed time to himself to think, get some fresh air, and with spring just around the corner, the weather got warmer and warmer and soon flowers would start to bloom.

The house was quiet, it seemed empty, he knew his roommate must've been home but it didn't even seem like two people lived in their place at that moment. He made his way to the bedroom, slowly opening half shut door by placing his hand on the center of the door rather than the knob.

He saw his roommate sitting at the desk they'd shared due to a mixed lack of space and money, playing a jrpg on the gaming computer that sat upon the top of the desk, the tower placed towards Yuta's bed and the mouse placed towards Yukhei's.

"Hey, how're you doing? I just went out to spend some time in nature." he greeted, his voice wasn't particularly in a high or low tone, it was more casual than how he usually spoke in public. "I'm fine," Yukhei said, his voice raspy and strained.

He grasped the red apple that was next to the keyboard on the opposing side of the mouse and took a bite out of it, not breaking eye contact with his colorful screen. "You sound bad, don't tell me tried going back there again..."

They sat in silence, they both knew what the answer was, but Yukhei was ashamed to tell him, especially considering the fight he and his roommate got into the last time he tried to change the past.

"At this point, there's no use in telling you that you're not capable of changing what happened, but please, if you keep doing this you're gonna end up unable to speak or hear, or worse..." He pleaded, even though he knew how much losing Jungwoo hurt, he also cared too much about his friend to see him hurting himself trying to erase the pain of the past.

"Then how come I can go back in time if I can't change this? Why am I like this? Just to stop someone from knocking their glass over, get from one place to another without walking? My life is a joke, I am a joke. You don't understand what it's like to know you can change something and somehow be unable to change it."

Yuta sighed, "I do know what it's like, it just seems different from you because I'm used to it. I tried stopping what happened, but that's just how time is... You can't change something that's meant to happen."

He began to walk away, "Wait!" Yuta stopped in his track as his friend uttered the singular word, he didn't look back until his roommate spoke again, "please stay, I don't want our friendship to be like this."

Yuta took a seat on his bed, looking at Yukhei silently for a moment, "so, what are you playing?" He engaged, just getting his friend's mind off of all of this stress, there was a bit of genuine curiosity as well since he'd never seen that specific scenery or character design style before.

Yukhei perked up a little bit, excited to talk about something that brought him so much comfort whilst struggling with self-worth and reason.

"It's a game about a traveler from a different world getting stuck in a new and unknown magical world while she looks for her long-lost twin brother, it's really good, my favorite character is the calvary captain."

Yuta smiled, he was glad to see that his friend was passionate about something, he thought that it was healthy for Yukhei to have something to think about other than the past.

They continued to talk a bit further about their shared interests, once again it was the Yukhei he knew and loved, talking his ear off about anything and everything, he hadn't seen this side of Yukhei much over the past three years.

It's crazy to think that it'd been that long, as if time stopped, but when someone like that leaves your life so soon, you never stop missing them.