1

Tranquility Base Hotel - Londres

December 2018

Miles:

What's been happenin' in your world? What have you been up to? Doesn't time fly? I'm worried I'll forget your face and I've asked everyone because I'm beginning to think I imagined you all along. I hear your voice in silences. I can't explain but I wanna try ... There's this image of you and I, and it goes dancing by in the morning and in the night time. In my heart there's my hotel suite and you lived there so long it's kinda strange, now you're gone. There's all those places we used to go and I suspect you already know but that place on memory lane you like still looks the same but something about it's changed and I thought I was yours forever or maybe I was mistaken, but I just cannot manage to make it through the day without thinking of you lately. Tell me, where's your hiding place? I'm sinking in until you return. Please, do me a favor, and ask, if you need some help. I'll wait for you ...

Alex

- Alexander! - Matt's voice cuts through my thoughts as I continue to stare at the letter, even though I have been finished reading it for a long time now.

I put the pen on the desk and looked up. My friend is staring at me leaning against the door frame.

- You look like you've been for breakfast at the Heartbreak Hotel and sat in the back booth by the pamphlets and the literature on how to lose - he exclaims

I lean back in my seat, and with a sigh Matt surrounds the desk and the room that I have as an office, he opens the curtains on each of the windows, lighting my office up.

- Ain't you had enough? What you're trying to dig up? - he asks, coming back to my side.

I've got a million things that I need to do, but they're all secondary. He is waiting for an answer that he will not get. I'm so full of shite. Delicately, he runs through the papers and sits on the edge of the desk, arms folded, and speaks again. Staring at the phone, wishing for it to ring, and to hear his voice on the other end, I realise Matt is speaking to me.

- There are no more vacancies and a family has just arrived... There are four people; two adults, a teenager and a child. Maybe if we bring a couple of cots to room 505 we can take the reservation 

I don't respond or gesture. Matt is tapping his fingers irritatedly on the table, but I know he is trying to be patient with me.

- That room is not available, why do you keep insisting? - I reply, meeting his eyes

- Alex ... There is a family outside that needs a place to rest, it is only for tonight, they are travelling by road ...

- There is another hotel 20 kilometres away ...