5

January 03, 2019

-Matt, wait ...

- What 's up, Alex?

We arrived at the hotel the same instant that the sky opened up and it started to rain torrentially. Matt helped me undress and get into bed. But even though I felt tired and dizzy, I still didn't want to sleep. My friend sat on the edge of the bed and covered me with the blanket. I clung to it, and with my eyes closed, I asked him to tell me that story that I like so much. He let out a heavy sigh.

- I've already told you a thousand times ...

- One more time ... and I promise I'll stop drinking, come on, be a good friend!

- I think I have already won the award for the best friend of the century ...

I smiled. By now, Jamie, Nick and him, could have pushed me aside. They had reasons enough to get rid of my friendship and the labour society, but nevertheless, they are next to me, enduring my sudden mood swings, my crying, my drunkenness and above all, my absence in terms of being a good friend as well. Matthew's voice invaded my ear with the story that I asked hundreds of times and that I still can't get enough of it. The memories of that revealing night came back to my memory.

August 26, 2018

Four days have passed since Miles joined my night rounds. His company made the job much more enjoyable. He was always waiting for me by the pool, smoking a cigarette. I made sure the hotel didn't offer him alcohol, although it wasn't necessary. His commitment to his well-being was serious and he was on the right track. His willpower is admirable. We talked about college years, each other's profession, and our hobbies. He is enthusiastic about wrestling and boxing. Surprisingly, we have a similar taste in music, agreeing that the best artists are The Beatles, David Bowie, The Strokes and Frank Sinatra. When he talks about something or someone that he is passionate about, he gestures excessively, and his voice goes up a few tones. I was dazzled to see so much emotion in him. Also at times, I appreciated his long legs, and I felt confused if what was happening to me was envy for wanting to have them or it was desire for feeling them entangled with mine. I wish for a man to love me like a woman would. The idea settled in my thoughts and it had me flustered. I needed answers, I always needed them. I think too much, even if I try not to. On the fourteenth night of Miles' stay, I didn't see him in the restaurant having dinner. I always checked to make sure he was eating well. Worried, I went to the reception to call his room. Perhaps he was late, or was taking a bath or had fallen asleep, or maybe he could have relapsed into old, bad habits again.

- Alexander, I was about to ask them to find you

- Did something happen with Miles?

- You mean Mr. Kane?

My cheeks burned a crimson shade. Mark smiled in a particular way, as if he was hinting that something else was going on between us. I felt embarrassed that he insisted on toying with my feelings.

- He prefers to be called by his first name, Mark

- I didn't know ... but everything is fine, he simply asked for you

Fleetingly, I got on the elevator to the corridor that leads to room 505. I knocked on the door twice, and Miles, on the other side, called for me to enter. I found that the room was only lit by the nightstand and the balcony doors were wide open. I called his name again, but this time I got no response. I approached the place at a slow pace, afraid of encountering an unpleasant scene. Quite the opposite. When the curtains were drawn, Miles was leaning on the marble balcony wearing an animal print shirt and jean shorts. The breeze brought his scent to my nose and I got drunk on it. In the small space, there was a table set for two.