四十七

[Flashbacks and slight recap: skimp through if you find it draggy but I recommend you to read because some of y/n past during the 12 years would be revealed and there will be some explanations made for certain things.]

Once upon a time, I would puff my chest out to admit that I'm just like an ordinary girl. Cheerful, lively, and well-loved by my parents. Born in luxury, I used to have everything I wanted. My mother was a happy housewife, she stayed home and took care of me. Making sure me and father ate 3 full meals daily. Her cooking wasn't comparable to a Michelin chef but in a small household of 3, it was good enough. 

Father would return home every night and have dinner with us. He took the initiative to tuck me into bed and read bedtime stories before I sleep. There was nothing more he could ask for. He built a successful gang, married the love of his life, and bore a daughter— even had plans for more.

Even after mother passed and father changed, I would've said everything was bearable for me. Enduring father's daily beatings soon became tolerable for me, as the years passed, the beatings weren't as frequent as I was constantly sent out to missions— "you need to be of use for the gang." father used to say.

In order to gain his attention and praise, you worked hard. No matter how tedious or life-threatening the mission was, you did it without fail. You disliked killing people but for the sake of your father, you convinced yourself they were evil, scumbags who deserved to die a horrible death— just like those who killed your mother. That in itself kept you going. Much more than you thought you could.

You weren't alone, Shinya was there. He was always there, he was your family. When you got home from missions, he'd be the first to welcome you home with your favorite dessert, gifts, or anything that would put a smile on your face. On days where you submitted to your father's relentless and absurd beatings, he would be outside the room with a box of first aid kits. Always ready to treat your wounds and patch you up till you're as good as new. But you can never be new— a broken vase can never return to its original state. No matter how you glue it up or even patch it up with gold to raise its value, the cracks will remain permanent. The cracks would never disappear.

Then the day came when you defied your father. You returned home, thinking that Shinya would back you up like always. He did not. He saved you from your father's wrath in his own ways— by killing who you were supposed to. His intention was to save you but it broke your trust instead. He didn't know. He thought he helped you in his own way. 

But it wasn't all bad. You met Keisuke because of this, he became your first friend. Good things don't last long though, he passed after a few years. You started chasing after his unfinished business while following your father's command. You met the Haitani, got caught by them, then you rescue them and before you know it you were living with them. 

Shinya didn't like that, of course, he didn't. You and Shinya had an engagement, you were to marry him at the age of 21 and then take over Banryu after your father's retirement. To continue the next generation so Banryu doesn't end. You meeting the Haitani ruined his plan to be with you. He was confident in making you fall for him eventually, he wanted you to be happy, truly. He had a crush on you since the day he saw you. A crush that soon turned into an obsession.