14

Having two of us out on the run works in our favour and keeps the Ronin's identity more unknown. From the whispers and talk, people can't decide whether it's a man or woman, whether there is more than one as the newest rumour circulates through both the black market and amongst the main players in the criminal world. I'm more of a decoy during some assignments, luring our targets away before they end up meeting the real Ronin. I teach Clint about the importance of research in the people we hunt down. "Know your enemy." That was the first rule I told him. "Find out their key connections, who they frequent with, who are the main weaknesses. Everyone has a weakness. A main lifeline – cut that lifeline and it makes for the most damage."

Soon, he is unstoppable with his newfound knowledge and skill with a sword. He's better than me, and far stronger which was always going to be obvious. But he's an Avenger, or at least he was. He doesn't like being associated with the name anymore. Just like Steve didn't when he took up his Nomad identity over Captain America. 

"Was he where I told you he'd be?" I ask Clint as he gets back to where we're lying low before moving on. I'm used to going from place to place right now. Being on the run although technically not is just a normal lifestyle to me. 

"Sure was." He pulls off his hood and mask, taking out his sword to clean it properly. "Security weren't up to their usual standard. Pass me the med kit." He gestures and I chuck it to him.

"You hurt?"

"A scratch. I've had worse." He says and begins to clean the wound on his arm after he pulls off the upper part of his suit. I throw him a soda and he cracks it open, savouring it. Killing people is thirsty work. "You're quiet." Clint notes after some time of us sitting in silence.

I toy with the dagger in my hand, manoeuvring it around. "I'm ok."

He seems to know me a little more by now, and can tell when something or someone is on my mind. 

"You never talk about him."

He knows...

"Who?"

"Steve."

I look at the blade of the dagger, light glinting off of it. "You never talk about your family, but I don't question you about it." I decide to point out. It's a raw subject and the reason why we're here doing what we're doing. Hence why I choose not to press the matter. 

"How close were you? Be honest." Clint says taking a swig of soda and continuing cleaning his wound.

"I think you already know."

He looks at me. "After the accords, I'm not surprised he took the route that he did. But he was right. And now I think the government see that. What's left of them anyway." He bandages the wound up and sits back against the couch. "You should go see him."

"That would be a very bad idea. If he finds out that I'm technically one half of the Ronin then he's not going to be too impressed. He gave me the chance to redeem myself for what I've done, and at one point I thought I was actually getting somewhere."

"And what happened."

"Your friends, Nat and Sam didn't trust me. So I left, finished the job I said that I would and I haven't seen him since. It's better this way." I shrug it off, but still I can't help but feel the pain inside of me every time I speak of him. "I really don't know what we were – but I know how I felt."

Clint nods and then speaks finally. "I was giving my daughter an archery lesson. Had my back turned for less than a minute. When I turned around she was gone. So was Laura and my boys – the only trace left being dust carried off by the air..." it's the first time he's mentioned his wife by name, and we've been moving around for quite some time. Almost another year has passed, and Christmas was spent drinking ourselves into a coma to numb the pain and try and forget.

"That when you decided to come find me?"

Another nod. "I saw on TV about a gang of criminals still at large and it made my blood boil – so I decided that if no one was going to do something about it, then I would. Your name just kept cropping up with everyone I asked – so I thought why not give it a shot?"

"And do you ever regret it?"

He bows and shakes his head. "No. I feel nothing." Then looks up at me. "Go and see him, let him know you're still alive, you don't even have to speak to him. Just him seeing you will be enough."

"Maybe." I say but still think it's a bad idea.

"Him and Nat will only be on our trail. She's been trying to contact me. She knows I'm Ronin but you? She knows nothing about that."

"It's better that way. Besides, what would be the point in finding us anyway? What? They'll try and talk us out of what we're doing." I snort

Clint agrees. "I know that Nat would."

"Some things are best left unsaid."

"Like I said. You don't have to say anything." He tells me again and then gets up, "You hungry?" and I nod. "I'll go grab us some pizza from down the road. Think about what I said." He reminds me and grabs his jacket before leaving.

I take out my phone and scroll down to find Steve's name. My finger hovering above the 'call' button. I do this every time, and every time I can never quite muster the strength to press the button.

Just like now. I sigh and put the phone back into my pocket – mind still wondering as to whether I should make my presence known to him in person or not.