Chapter 11

Today was another weekend and I had plans. Jin had asked me on the phone if I wanted to go to a lantern festival. Of course, I said yes and I was SUPER excited about it. I immediately ran upstairs to find something to change into. I was finally ready and that's when I heard the doorbell ring.

"Coming!" I ran up to the door, unlocking it and opening it.

There stood Jin, who had a smile on his face. He was wearing a denim jacket with a t-shirt inside, black leather pants, and black shoes.

 He was wearing a denim jacket with a t-shirt inside, black leather pants, and black shoes

"Ready to go?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yep!"

I closed the door behind me and we both headed to the festival. The walk there took a while to get there and I was getting impatient.

"Are we there yet?" I asked.

"Just a little longer." Jin answered, chuckling. "Are you that excited?"

"Yes! I've never been to one before, so I'm curious to see what it's gonna be like."

"Well, you gotta be patient." Jin smiled. "We'll be there soon."

"Well, I can't wait any longer!" I grabbed his hand, pulling him as we both ran. "Let's go before it gets dark!"

"Woah, slow down!" Jin said, keeping up with me.

We both ran as fast our legs could. I didn't stop running until we both got there, we just kept on running. Finally, we had arrived and stopped to catch our breaths.

"Navya...you need to slow down next time." Jin put his hands on his knees, panting hard. "I can't keep up with you."

"Sorry, I'm too excited for the lantern festival and I was impatient.

He stood up. "It's okay, no need to apologize. Now, let me tell you about the lantern festival. It's a time for people to come together and make wishes for the future. The lanterns symbolize our hopes and dreams, and when we release them into the sky, we're asking the gods to grant them. Koreans celebrate this to commemorate the birth of the Buddha and to symbolize enlightenment and hope. The radiant glow of lanterns is believed to dispel darkness and negativity, ushering in a period of prosperity and fortune. The festivals are also a time for communal gatherings, where people come together to enjoy the beauty of the lanterns and participate in traditional festivities."

"Wow, that's amazing." I smiled and randomly looked around, my vision darting towards people who already checked in, got their lanterns, and was scrambling with it.

I noticed that the lanterns came in a variety of sizes. Some were small and delicate, while others were large and imposing.

"Why are there different sized lanterns?" I furrowed my brows.

"Because the smaller ones are for those who are going to fly it alone and the bigger ones are for two people or couples."

"Ohhh, okay." I nodded in response.