34 | YOUR MEMORY LIVES ON

How's that new banner above? I love it tbh ✨

"The sky looks different when you got someone you love up there."

❛❛「₪」❜❜

Candy's P.O.V.

A small smile lingered on my lips for the rest of the day. The first friend made. It felt like an achievement, honestly, and I had to fight my urge to jump and punch the air. But I could not, given my surroundings. However, as I walked to the staff room for lunch that day, something happened, and I wished it never did. 

As I sat there, chewing my mac and cheese, a blonde woman who I learned was called Fiona, asked the man beside her to pass a newspaper.

"Uhm, what date is it?" He asked, looking for the right one among the bundle of papers.

"8th of August, Carl. How oblivious could you-"

"Alright alright, now. Don't you lecture me. We don't have a paper from today."

8th August, I thought. The date, it sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite lay a finger on it.

"Oh come on look at it prope-" Fiona's voice faded, though, as it clicked, and I zoned out, totally oblivious to everything that was happening around me now.

8th August. Her birthday.

As reality hit home, I forcefully gulped the mac and cheese that was already in my mouth with the help of three big sips of water. Abandoning my food, I pushed myself back to the chair, everything else around me forgotten. The only thought in my mind was that of her. Her. Oh, why her? Why her? Why did it ever have to be her? A drop of tear threatened to leave my eye, but I raised the pad of my thumb to it, and in one swift motion, it was vanished before anybody could point it out. I had two more lectures to give, and with the thought of her in my mind, it wasn't going to be a piece of cake. 

I stood up, the wooden leg of the chair screeched against the floor. The cacophony, much to my dismay, rang in my ears, for it was the only sound that reached them. Everything went blank. Numb. A void. My feet left the staff room and dragged themselves to heaven knew where. I kept walking around, the slightly chilly wind hitting my body, my tresses brushing across my face. I would usually tuck them behind my ears, but it didn't matter right now. Nothing mattered right now. My hands were folded across my chest, refusing to move for something as frivolous as tucking behind a few strands of hair. My body too, refused to be put to use, it wanted to give away. Yet, it kept walking, somehow knowing it's destination.