Chapter 8: A Shoulder To Cry On

Mirabel's POV:
I didn't know what was happening, and I was absolutely terrified. I knew I had to have been in that vision for a reason, but I couldn't figure out why or even what it meant.

Desperately trying not to panic, I ran upstairs to my room, grabbing my phone to call Manuel. I knew he was the only person in the world who could calm me down, and I needed his guidance now more than ever before.

"Mirabel?" he asked nervously as he picked up the phone. "What's wrong? Is everything alright? Are you okay?"

"No.. Manuel, I need you listen to me, okay? The magic's in danger.. casita's in trouble and I think it's all because of me."

"What are you talking about? Why on earth would you think that?" he asked. "What's going on?"

"I don't know.. all I know is I somehow found my tio Bruno's last vision, and it showed the miracle in danger.. because of me."

I tried not to let him hear me crying, I tried to stop the tears before they had the chance to fall, but it was already too late.

"Please don't cry, Mirabel. Everything's going to be alright. Just stay where you are, I'll be right there."

But before I could protest, he'd already hung up, and in a matter of minutes he was in my room, pulling me into his arms as he petted my hair gently.

"Shh, shh.. it's okay," he whispered. "Just let it out."

My head collapsed, falling onto his shoulder as loud, violent sobs escaped me. "I just.. I don't know what to do anymore," I cried. "All I wanted was to help my family, and now I realize that I was only hurting them? I love my family more than anything.. I never meant to hurt them."

"I know, I know," he whispered. "I know. You did everything just right. No one's blaming you here."

"But what happens now?" I asked nervously. "What happens when the rest of the family finds out?"

He shook his head. "They're not going to."

"But how can you be sure?" I asked nervously.

"Because.." he whispered, taking my hand in his and lifting it to his lips, kissing my knuckles softly. "Your secret's safe with me."

Manuel's POV:
My heart ached for her. I wanted so badly for her to see herself the way I and everyone else around her saw her.. she was a miracle all her own, a vision of beauty and grace much like her sister Isabela, and yet so strong like Luisa. To me, she was perfect.

But all I could do now in this moment was to hold her close, as tightly as I could.. and reassure her that everything was going to be okay. I knew all she really needed was a shoulder to cry on, and I was more than willing to be that for her.. whenever she needed me. I just wanted to be there for her.

"I can't move the mountains, I can't make the flowers bloom.. I can't take another night up in my room, waiting on a miracle.." she whispered. "I just can't do this anymore."

"You're so much stronger than you think, mi vida.. you don't need a miracle, you know why? Because you.. Mirabel Madrigal.. are a miracle all your own."

Mirabel's POV:
I smiled softly as he whispered the words into my ear.. and for the first time in my life, I knew he truly meant them. For the first time in my life, I felt loved.

"Thank you Manuel," I whispered. "That really means a lot to me."

He smiled sheepishly. "I meant every word, mi vida."

"Manuel.. can I ask you something?" I asked nervously, afraid to say what was truly on my mind for fear he might reject me.

"Of course," he said. "Anything."

I took a deep breath. "Would you.. would you stay with me tonight? It's just that I'm too afraid to sleep alone," I muttered. "And I promise I don't mean anything physical by it.. I just.. I need you here with me.."

Before I could say anything else, he took me in his arms, kissing me passionately, almost as if he was afraid to let me go. "I thought you'd never ask."