Chapter 1: La Casa De Madrigal

June 15, 2001 Encanto, Colombia

Mirabel's POV:
Today was the day. The whole town was buzzing with pre ceremony excitement, as it had been for weeks now. My youngest cousin Antonio had finally come of age, which meant that tonight he'd be blessed with his own magical gift.

The last gift ceremony had been ten years ago, but sadly, the guest of honor received no gift, thus disappointing the entire town. It just so happened that the last gift ceremony had been mine, and ever since that day I had been seen as the family outcast.

But I couldn't think about that now, as the entire family was busy preparing for Antonio's gift ceremony. And everything had to be perfect.

Abuela had sent me into town early this morning to get a few last minute decorations. Well at least that's what she said, but I think she just wanted me out of the way while the rest of the family got everything set up for the party.

"Oh my gosh it's them!" the children would exclaim as I walked past, singing about my family, the magical Madrigals.

The townspeople looked up to us, and the children were amazed by all the magical gifts that my family possessed.

"What are the gifts?"

"I can't remember all the gifts!"

"But I don't know who is who!"

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Alright, alright, relax," I said with a laugh as I started to explain my family tree to them.

"It is physically impossible to relax!" one shouted.

"Tell us everything! What are your powers?"

"Just tell us what everyone can do!"

"And that's why coffee's for grown-ups!" I laughed, plucking the cup of coffee from the little boy's hand.

I began to sing about my family blessings, pulling the children along to dance with me as I explained everyone's gifts.

"That's who we are in the family Madrigal. Adios!" I cheered, stopping as I bumped into a little girl. "Oh!"

"But what's your gift?" she asked.

I thought for a moment about how to avoid her question, not wanting to tell them I didn't get a gift. "Ha! Well, I gotta go, the life of a Madrigal. But now you all know the family Madrigal! I never meant this to get autobiographical, so just to review the family Madrigal.. let's go!" I cheered.

"Mirabel!" the children called.

"It starts with Abuela, and then tia Pepa, she handles the weather. My mom Julieta can make you feel better with just one arepa!"

"What about Mirabel?" the kids asked.

My dad, Augustin, well, he's accident-prone but he means well.." I chuckled

"But what about Mirabel?" the kids repeated.

"Hey you said you wanna know what everyone does, I got sisters and cousins and.."

"Mirabel!"

"My primo Camilo won't stop until he makes you smile today."

"Mirabel!"

"My cousin Dolores can hear this whole chorus a mile away!"

"Mirabel!"

"My family's amazing!" I cheered.

"Mirabel!"

"And I'm in my family, so.."

"Mirabel!"

"Well.." I muttered, finally realizing that I'd have to tell them the truth.

"Mirabel!" Abuela called in the distance.

"What's your gift?" the kids asked again.

"Oh, Mirabel didn't get a gift," Dolores said as she stuck her head outside.

"Mirabel! Delivery! I gave you the special, since you're the only Madrigal kid with no gift. I call it the 'not special special' since you have no gift," the delivery guy laughed as he placed a box of decorations in my arms.

"Uh, thanks?" I asked with a chuckle. I saw his son, Manuel, standing behind him. "Oh! Hola Manuel. Sorry, I didn't see you there," I laughed.

He blushed softly. "It's no big deal, really," he whispered. "We should probably get going, Papa. We've got a lot of deliveries to make before the ceremony tonight."

The man nodded, following his son back to the delivery truck.

"I'm sorry. I gotta go. But I'll see you at the ceremony tonight, right?" Manuel asked shyly.

I nodded. "Of course. See you then," I said, walking back to the house to drop off the decorations. "Well, gift or no gift, I'm just as special as the rest of my family."

"Maybe your gift is being in denial," the little girl whispered.

I smiled shyly before carrying the decorations into the house, only to be bumped into by Isabela as she rushed to fix the flower arrangements. "Maybe you should just stay out of the way, let the people with gifts do all the work," she suggested.

I rolled my eyes. "It's called helping, Isabela," I muttered. "And I'm just as special as the rest of the family."

But as I watched my dad and uncle hang Antonio's banner, the children trying to run upstairs to sneak a peek at the decorations, it finally hit me. I was jealous of my family's gifts.