Chapter 12: Safe With Me

A few months later...

Manuel's POV:
As the days turned into months, I could only feel my love for her growing stronger.

Sure, we were only kids, but even still I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. To me, she was the most beautiful girl in the world, both inside and out.

I couldn't stop myself from smiling as my phone lit up with her number displayed across the tiny screen.

"Good morning, mi vida," I whispered. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?"

But everything changed the moment I heard her sniffle over the phone.

She was crying.. clearly upset, and I had no idea why.

"Mirabel?" I asked softly. "Is everything okay? Why are you crying? D-did something happen?"

Another sniffle before she let out a watery chuckle, obviously hoping to distract me.

"Oh.. it's uh, it's nothing really," she muttered. "I just.. I just stubbed my toe, that's all.."

I sighed heavily as I felt my heart sink. I wanted more than anything to be there for her, but I couldn't do that unless she told me what was going on.

"Mirabel, please.." I pleaded. "You don't have to pretend to be strong.. not with me. Just tell me what's going on."

Another sniffle, this time followed by a deep sigh as her voice began to break.. her walls of defense slowly coming down around her.

"It's Abuela.. again," she muttered. "She just doesn't understand.."

I felt my fists clench around the phone in anger the moment the words fell from her lips.

Of course it was Alma. Why on earth did I ever let myself believe it was anything else that troubled her so deeply?

"Why am I not surprised?" I muttered, hoping she couldn't hear me. "Why? What happened this time? What did she do?"

"I'll tell you later. I just.. I can't stay here anymore. I was hoping I could come stay with you and your dad for a while?"

But before I could even respond, I heard something shattering in the background, followed by the sound of the rest of the family calling after her in a panic.

"Mirabel? What's going on?" I asked nervously. "Is everything alright?"

But I received no response, which of course sent me into a panic. I hung up the phone before I could even blink, throwing on my jacket and rushing out the door without so much as a second thought. I had to make sure she was okay.

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, hoping and praying I'd get there in time. Saving Mirabel from the destruction was the only thing on my mind.

But little did I know that running was no use. I was already too little, too late.

The once beautiful Madrigal home had already been reduced to a pile of rubble.. leaving the brokenhearted family behind to pick up the pieces.

But perhaps what worried me the most about this whole ordeal was the fact that every member of the family was present.. all except one. Mirabel was nowhere to be found.

My heart shattered as I turned to look at the damage.

Alma was standing in the pile of rubble that had once been the foyer, a saddened look of guilt splayed across her worn features.

"You.." I muttered angrily. "YOU did this! You're the reason she wanted to run away! You only ever saw the worst in her, and your constant negativity and need for perfection is what drove her away! You should be ashamed of yourself!"

I knew I shouldn't be yelling at her the way I was.. she was my elder, after all.. but I just couldn't take it anymore. I'd had enough of how she treated Mirabel.. and all because she didn't have some stupid magical gift.

"Manuel's right, Abuela.." Isabela spoke up. "You've been way too hard on Mirabel.. on all of us, really. You're the one that needs to fix this."

Alma nodded slowly, her head hung low in shame. "You're right," she said. "All of you. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to find Mirabel."

I smiled softly. "I think I might have an idea of where she might be," I said as I led her to the river where Mirabel and I had our first date.

"I've never been able to come back to this river.." Alma whispered, walking towards the riverbank where Mirabel now sat.

I stood behind a tree and listened as the two of them talked. I just hoped it would be enough..

Mirabel's POV:
"I've never been able to come back to this river.." Abuela whispered. "This was the place where we were given our miracle.."

I looked up slowly with tears in my eyes as I turned to meet her gaze, already knowing where she was going with this story. "Where Abuelo Pedro.." I trailed off, unable to swallow the lump in my throat that had now formed at the memory.

She nodded slowly. "I thought that we would have a different life," she said. "That I would be a different woman.."

I sighed heavily, wiping away the tears that now threatened to spill down my cheeks. "I am so sorry, Abuela.. you lost your home.. you lost everything.."

"I asked my Pedro for help.. Mirabel.. he sent me you!" she exclaimed, her face lighting up as she hugged me for the first time in years.

I hugged her back as tightly as I could, never wanting this moment between us to end.

"Come on," I whispered. "Let's go home."