Chapter 13: The Greatest Love Story

7 years later...

Manuel's POV:
It had been almost seven years since the Madrigal home collapsed, but out of those ashes arose a family bond that was even stronger than it was before.

The house had been rebuilt shortly after.. (under Mirabel's direction of course) and ever since then everything in our lives had changed forever.

Now here I was, almost seven years later, standing atop the grand staircase of the Madrigal home, awaiting the arrival of my beautiful bride.

I'd finally gathered the courage about six months ago to finally ask Mirabel to marry me, and I swore on that day I would never forget the moment she said yes.

Flashback... six months ago

"Manuel.. why can't you just tell me where we're going already?" she asked for what seemed like the thousandth time.

I chuckled softly. "Well, if I told you, it wouldn't be much of a surprise then, now would it?"

"You know I hate surprises," she pouted.

"You're gonna love this one, just trust me, okay? Do you trust me?"

She nodded. "Of course I trust you, you big goofball!"

I rolled my eyes playfully, squeezing her hand even tighter in mine as I led her to our special spot by the river where I had a surprise date waiting.

I knew that everything had to be perfect, because tonight would be the night I finally asked her to marry me.

Alma had finally given me her blessing after what felt like a million and one interview questions regarding my intentions with her granddaughter, and I couldn't be happier.

As I led her to the riverbank, I could almost feel my heart pounding in my chest. I was so nervous, yet excited at the same time.

"Okay, we're almost there.. but first.. I need you to close your eyes for me," I whispered.

She raised a curios eyebrow but did as I asked, allowing me to lead her to the table for two I had set up only hours before with the help of my dad and Señor Morino.

"Can I open my eyes now?" she asked somewhat impatiently, which caused me to laugh.

"Alright.. now you can open them," I said excitedly.

The moment she opened her eyes she gasped, her magnificent brown eyes sparkling as she took in the beauty around her.

"Manuel, this.. this is amazing. Did you do all of this yourself?" she asked in awe.

"Well, no.. not all of it. My dad and Señor Morino helped set everything up.."

I pulled her chair out for her and we laughed and ate until the sun began to set.

I waited until the sun was setting over the river, just enough to make the water sparkle, as I took her hand in mine and lowered myself onto one knee.

"Manuel, what.. what is this? What's going on?" she asked nervously.

I smiled and put a finger to my lips as I spoke.

"Mirabel.. from the moment I met you, I knew you were special. Even when we were kids I knew I couldn't imagine my life without you in it.. you've somehow managed to turn my entire life upside down without even knowing it.. which is why I kneel before you this night as I ask you.. Mirabel Madrigal, will you make me the happiest man in the world.. and marry me?"

I watched the tears stream down her face as she sank to her knees before me, nodding as she kissed me passionately.

"Yes, Manuel. Yes, I will marry you."

End of flashback

Mirabel's POV:
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would end up here, but I'm so thankful I did.. because today was the day I'd finally be marrying the man of my dreams.

I felt both nervous and excited at the same time as my dad took my arm in his.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" he asked as the music began to pick up.

"I am.." I whispered. "It's time. Let's do this."

Manuel's POV:
The moment I saw her I began to tear up. I stood next to Alma as I watched Augustin escort his youngest daughter to me.. his baby girl.

"Take care of her," he whispered.

I nodded slowly as I took her hands in mine. "I will."

Alma cleared her throat as she spoke up to address the crowd. "Family.. friends.. esteemed guests.. we are gathered here today to witness the joining of Manuel Ortiz and Mirabel Madrigal in marriage.. may their union serve as a reminder to all of us that true love can be found even in the darkest of times.."

"I love you," I whispered.

She smiled. "I love you too."

"Do you, Manuel, take Mirabel to be your lawfully wedded wife? Do you promise to love and to cherish her for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, til death should you part?" Alma asked.

I nodded. "I do."

"Do you, Mirabel, take Manuel to be your lawfully wedded husband? Do you promise to love and to cherish him for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, til death should you part?"

She smiled softly, squeezing my hand as she nodded. "I do."

"Then, it is my great honor and privilege to pronounce you husband and wife. Manuel, you may now kiss your bride."

Smiling brightly, I scooped her into my arms and kissed her passionately, pouring all my love for her into a sweet and tender kiss.

"Music!" Alma cheered "Bailar, Bailar!"

I giggled softly as I held her in my arms for our first dance as husband and wife.

At long last, everything was perfect.. and all my dreams had finally come true.