Chapter 1: The Nightmare

I stroke her hair just as I stroked Prim's all those years ago.

"The nightmare again?" I ask, knowing the answer

"Yes," she replies, tears filling her eyes. "I hate it so much! I have it almost every night and think about it every day!"

"It's ok Rue '' I say softly, stroking her hair. "I have them too, a lot just like you but remember this just think of all the things you're grateful for, make a list and say them out loud it works every time for me." I always tell her that but it always makes her feel better.

"Can you sing me the song? she asks, with a hopeful smile.

"Of course." I respond

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow.

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow.

Lay down your head, and close your eyes.

And when they open, the sun will rise. Here it's safe, and here it's warm.

Here the daisies guard you from every harm.

Here your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true.

Here is the place where I love you."

I looked down to see my beautiful Rue asleep in my lap

"I have some warm milk!" Peeta says, coming into the room.

"Too late." I say sweetly, looking at him lovingly. He sits next to me and wraps his arms around me. This is my happy place. I lay Rue's head on my lap and my head on his shoulder and we both fall asleep. Him cradling me and me cradling Rue.

The next morning the sun is shining bright. Rue is still sleeping on me. No nightmares tonight. I've rarely get nightmares anymore and whenever I do Peeta is always there to soothe me. I slowly get out of bed, trying not to wake Peeta or Rue, and looked out the window.

District 12, my home. It was rebuilt about a decade ago and is more beautiful than ever. Sometimes I miss the old district 12 but now everyone's happier and everything is more beautiful. I walked downstairs and put on my father's coat. I step outside, breathe the district 12 air, look around and spot my neighbor.

"Hey, Haymitch." I say walking towards him. "How's Effie?"

"Just fine sweetheart," He responds "How's little Rue and Finnick?"

"Growing like weeds." I smile "And your little one?" Effie and Haymitch got a dog about a month ago and the kids love him.

"Just fine. Come over later, Effie wants to talk to you."

"Sure thing Haymitch."

Rue is about eight. Everyone thinks she has my brown hair but she has Peeta's blonde hair but it's long and wavy like mine. Effie likes to style it into my signature braid. Finnick is five and is a spitting image of me though he has my brown hair and gray eyes but has his father's smile. I see Prim in both of them and I love it. Sometimes it's like I'm talking to her.

I walk into the woods thinking about Gale and when we used to go hunting together. I haven't seen him in forever! Ever since Prim's death, it's been a bit weird between us. He still has his job in district 2 and sometimes I hear people talking about him visiting but other than that nothing. I find my bow and arrow and start to hunt, not for food but for fun. It makes me feel like I'm back when Prim and my Dad were alive and my mom didn't abandon me.

I sit by the lake where Gale and I would always meet up. How I miss those times when I had no responsibilities and I could just be myself. Ever since the games and the revolution wherever I go it's always like "Oooh is that Katniss Everdeen?" "She's so amazing" Katniss Katniss Katniss. It's exhausting! They even named a DAY after me! Speaking of that, Victor's Day is coming up. It's the only celebrated day that involves me that I like. Because I get to see all the other Victors and their families.