Chapter 9

"Everything will be okay. If it is not okay, it is not the end."

That night, Ana had not responded to my text so I called her. Surprisingly, it was her mom who answered.

- Hello?

- Um, Mrs. French?

- Who is this? – She sounded extremely tired.

- Wendy.

- Oh Wendy. Hi. I am sorry. Ana might be sleeping right now...

There was noise in the background.

- Oh. Okay, I think she is awake honey. I will put her on.

- Thanks?

I didn't mean it to sound as a question. There was so many sound on the background. Where were they?

- Hello?

- Hi Ana!! Did you not see my text?

- No. Why?

- I GOT THE PART!

- REALLY?

She had sounded tired, but it faded away.

- Yeah! And Andrew got it to!

- No way.

- You guys are together right?

- I don't know, I mean, we had a date and stuff, but I am just confused. What if it is all nothing? What if I am kidding myself?

- You are so not Wendy trust me. How is Henry?

- He is as sweet as ever. I don't know where he gets it really. Aunt Elena is so...

Suddenly a beeping sound started and people started shouting, words I couldn't quite make out. A door closing sound, and then a heck of a lot more beeping. What was going on? I was on the line for a few minutes more until a voice came in the line.

- Hello? Wendy?

Oh. What??

- Tobias?

- Wendy I am so sorry.

Was he... Was he crying??

- Tobias! What is going on?

My whole body felt tense. I knew what was going on. The necklace. All the gifts. Her not coming to school repeatedly. The noises. Her parents worry. Olivers behavior that last night.

- Toby? – my voice croaked.

- Wendy... Ana is sick. – his strong voice caught so badly, it chocked the tears out of me. – Ana... Ana has cancer.

My whole world fell on me. Literally. I fell down to the floor, taking the phone with me. My hand was shaking, my mind spinning, my muscled tight. No. Not Ana. Not her. WHY HER?

- Wendy?

Now I was sure he was crying. And I was too. I could feel the salted tears, they just kept coming.

- Since when? – I asked.

- Five months.

I cried harder. Five months Ana had been sick on, and I had no idea. I grabbed on a pillow.

- Is she...

- She got bad, a day after you left. She is in chemo. Again.

- AGAIN??

- Last summer. It was, when we found out.

This was not easy for Tobias. I had to leave him alone. I took a breath and the tears ran again.