chapter 2 (edited)

"That's my name. Welcome home, roomy." Cupid stood in the middle of the room, looking displeased.

"What are you doing here?"

"Heaven sent me to keep an eye on you. Make sure you don't go on a cutting spree." He made a disgusted face at me, like he couldn't even look at me.

"Whatever, I'm going to bed."

"Just like that?" he said, surprised. "Nothing to ask, or object to?"

"One rule. Don't touch me or my stuff unless necessary. Think you can handle it?" I didn't wait for an answer and instead mumbled, "Good. 'Night."

I pulled the covers over my head, and closed my eyes.

"That easy? Wow, this kid is... different."

"I can hear you, and you're disturbing my sleep, so shut up."

I didn't hear anything after that, so I rolled over and went to sleep.

***

I woke up to a sickly scent.

"Bleh, what is that?"

"Pancakes. Want one?" Cupid's voice rang out from the kitchen.

"Ugh, no thanks, it'll just make me sick." I pushed the covers off and put my sleeve over my nose to try and block the scent.

"Sick? Demons get sick?" Cupid walked into my bedroom, and I immediately covered my eyes.

"Shirt. On. Now." I demanded.

It wasn't that Cupid was unattractive shirtless-quite the opposite- it was that I haven't had many interactions with men. That's right, Cupid's not a diaper baby. He's a 6'5 giant with abs and golden skin and hair. His eyes are baby blue, and he's just taken over his father's position at 24.

"There, happy?"

"No. But it'll do." I said, sighing dramatically.

He had pulled on a red T-shirt, so his upper body was no longer shirtless. I swung my legs over the side of the bed, and grabbed my only skirt from the closet along with a short sleeved shirt. Cupid watched me as I did so.

"Y'know, you don't look like someone who would cut red strings and separate soulmates." He commented.

"And you don't look like a baby with wings and heart-shaped arrows."

He shrugged and left the room muttering a 'fair enough' over his shoulder. I changed into the black skirt and purple top, pulling on a pair of boots. I took some of the pain-killers out of the room with me.

"So back to demons getting sick..." Cupid trailed off, his eyes looking everywhere but me.

"Yes, demons get sick, but only from some human foods." I explained as I rummaged through the fridge.

I saw some orange juice and stared at it before hesitatingly pouring myself a glass. I took a small sip, and instantly spit it into the sink.

"Bleh! So orange juice is a no," I muttered, and dumped it down the sink.

"Try the apple juice, maybe it's ok?" He sounded slightly disturbed, like he just witnessed me eating a corpse.

"Ugh. I'd rather not, but I guess I have to if I want to get this down."

"What is that?"

"Demon painkillers. Our wings burn off. They don't disappear."

He stared at me, but looked away when I met his eye. What is that about?