Time Together, At Long Last

(sorry for any ooc stuff, I haven't written for tpq in a While)

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Aiden smiled graciously at Aru's mom as she set down the plate in front of him. "Thank you, Auntie!" Krithika smiled at the boy, eyes crinkling in that motherly manner. "No problem, beta. Once you're done, just put your dishes in the sink. Aru's in her room upstairs. Feel free to call me if you need anything, alright?"

Aiden nodded, smiling once again. Krithika headed up the stairwell, giving him one last grin. He scarfed down the warm pulao, savoring every salty bite and crunchy vegetable. The fried rice was gone in a matter of minutes, finished off with a cold glass of mango lassi. He hadn't realized just how hungry he was until Aru's mom offered him food.

Depositing his dishes in the sink and washing his hands, he headed upstairs to Aru's room. Music was playing loudly. It wasn't bothersome from the outside, but from the inside... his hand clasped the case of earplugs he had in his pocket. Knocking on the door, he waited for a response. The music stopped suddenly, followed by his girlfriend's familiar "Come in!" He cracked open the door and was immediately greeted by a joyous shriek. "Aiden! You haven't been over in weeks!"

And it was true. It had been weeks since they hung out together, just the two of them. They were both burdened by responsibilities, ranging from schoolwork to carrying the world on their shoulders. He figured he would make some time for just his girlfriend, considering Valentine's Day was coming up. "I know. But life just... got in the way, you know? I'm sure you know."

Aru exhaled heavily, getting up from her spot on the floor. "Boy, tell me about it. It's exhausting. Mini's been trying to convince me to take a break, but like— girl. Girl, I can't take a break even if I wanted to." Aiden understood that feeling. Rudy, naive as always, had been trying to get him away from his hours at the desk but to no avail.

"God, I know right?" He shook his head, sighing. "But let's, like... not dwell on that right now. We have time together, let's just spend it, hm?"

Aru nodded enthusiastically, skipping over to him. He grabbed her hand, twirling her around as she succumbed to peals of laughter. He held back his own chuckles, focused only on dizzying her more. She stumbled and he scrambled to catch her. As if the universe knew their perpetual dance, Aiden's hand caught the small of her back, the other still clutching her own hand. They landed in what was possibly the messiest dip ever, but that didn't matter. They were content, they were happy.

"Well, if ya wanted to dance, that's all you had to say, Aiden," Aru said, winking conspicuously. Aiden rolled his eyes, pushing her up to standing. She huffed, crossing her arms. "Oh, come now. No need to get salty about that." Aru refused to answer, still standing with her back to him. He sighed softly, dragging his fingertips along her arm. "I'll let you play with my hair?"

Aru whipped around to face him instantaneously, a gleam in her eyes. "Really?!"

"Yeah...?"

She cheered and dragged him onto her bed, positioning herself behind him. Aiden let himself relax as her nimble fingers threaded through his hair, carving a pattern he knew he would admire later. And at long last, it was just the two of them together, without the weight of the world on their shoulders. Just two teenagers enjoying the fleeting joys of life, hand in hand. Together.