Chapter 5

"M'lady! I bring terrible news!" An Epizian informant declared as she entered into the throne room before Queen Verina. "Our emissary ship carrying the dignitaries was attacked by pirates and destroyed shortly after leaving harbor."

"What?" Verina cried out in disbelief. "How could this have happened? I though our navy was patrolling our coasts and territories from all threats! What of the crew and our dignitaries?"

"Fortunately m'lady I bring rather relieving news regarding this attack." The informant said as she looked through some papers. "The Holden escort vessels were quick to respond and save the crew and dignitaries of the vessel, while destroying four pirate ships and leaving one fleeing from their wrath."

"Our dignitaries and crew of the ship are safe m'lady. They're aboard one of the Holden vessels and are proceeding with their mission as before."

Verina let out a sigh of relief, settling back into her throne at the news. However the attack still bothered her in the back of her mind. "While that outcome is fortunate, we can not under any circumstances allow for another attack like this. Send a order to the Ministry of Navy to increase patrols and maintain a higher presence along our territories. Also send praise to the Empire through their dignitaries. Tell them we are grateful for their actions and intervention."

"By your word m'lady. I shall deliver the messages at once." The informant departed from the throne room to carry out the words of her majesty as Verina felt the need to relax. No doubt this would bring a heated discussion amongst the noble houses of the senate, especially the Himelherd nobles who just had two of their members in jeopardy.

———<>———<>———<>———

"Mmm, this is brilliant." Uffo complimented as he bit into another fork full of his meal. "I wasn't aware such tasteful creatures dwelled along the ocean floor.

The main course consisted of northern giant lobsters. The second to largest lobster species on Terrene. It was popular amongst the Holden populace up in the northern districts and regions where it was most common and cheapest.

The captain had joined their passengers while First Officer Burner was taking temporary command of the ship and escorting cruisers. "Indeed. I've grown up eating this stuff up north. My mother would almost always cook this once a week. Never have I grown over the taste."

"Your mother cooked? I though you to be of noble status to be a captain." Joanna stated as Wellington chuckled and shook his head.

"I never was a noble and don't consider myself one. Me and my family are among the common folk. The working class. It wasn't until I joined the naval academy at age eighteen and worked my way up to the rank of captain eight years later."

"A commoner becoming a high ranking officer? That is almost unheard of." Captain Theo commented as Wellington shrugged.

"I have no doubt our societies have different ideologies. In the Empire, everyone is believed to have potential." He explained as he dipped a piece of his lobster into a sauce. "Everyone gets free education, majors, medicare, and pays taxes regardless of status. Hell even a good lot of common folk gained a lot of wealth by starting up a successful business, some even evolving into profitable enterprises."

"That is indeed a very alien ideology. I doubt many in power would accept such a concept. But I have no doubt you earned your title well. You clearly show the qualities of a respectable leader." Captain Theo complimented as Wellington nodded.