Chapter 9

The sky blasted with the sound of thunder overhead as Comet fighters flew over in a show of air dominance. A total of ten squadrons consisting of five jets each were active as they were tasked with hunting down and killing all wyverns they came across. The mountain range was where they were most common and was essentially a target rich environment for the super sonic aircraft as they hunted for their prey.

Joining them were two cruisers with their 4in heavy flak guns brought to bare and searching for any hostile targets. The flak guns were the primary weapons of cruisers, easily able to rip enemy aircraft to shreds through fragmentation at fifty six rounds per minute. With their guns, they could set up a literal wall of AA fire that could destroy both aircraft and missiles that passed through.

This would soon be put into practice as a hundred wyverns flew out and began advancing on the cruisers. Hoping to catch them by surprise and inflict catastrophic damage on the airships. Unfortunately for them, the cruisers detected them already through the use of radar as their guns were already aiming ready to intercept.

"Captain! Enemy air contacts reading at a hundred from nine-zero to nine-nine! Possible enemy wyverns at ten miles out!"

"Engage 4in guns. Standby fragmentation rounds and fire off ship-to-air missiles." The captain ordered as the ship's missile batteries opened up and began unleashing Sparrow missiles towards the approaching wyverns. Riders and steeds noticed the incoming arrows and moved to try and dodge them. But were unsuccessful as twenty seven wyverns were suddenly blown out of the sky.

"What was that?" The lead rider questioned in confusion as he and his unit ceased their attack after witnessing such an event. Out of no where, several large flying arrows appeared and chased his forces down before killing them in an explosion. "Regroup! Regroup!" He shouted as they made ready to continue their attack.

However they wouldn't be given the chance as flak fire approached them and the sky was filled with explosions and fragmentation that ripped the remaining wyverns to shreds completely annihilating them with ease.

"All hostiles eliminated captain. Radar is showing all clear on air contacts." The weapons officer declared as the cruiser continued on it's course with it's sibling and friendly aircraft as they resumed their hunt in the mountains.

"Contact Overlord Command. Inform them we're approaching enemy mountain range and are currently searching for enemy presence as ordered." The captain instructed as the ship lurked above the rocky, snowy terrain below, hunting for their prey.

Below on the surface, the Grand Imperial Army was continuously making it's progress along the terrain, taking over territory, villages, and outposts belonging to the Cruid Alliance. The landing force that started from the capital had joint up with the force deployed further inland, securing logistics and reinforcements for their comrades.

The course of the war had instantly turned in favor of the Holden Empire, not much to their surprise as they were clearly the dominant military force by comparison.

That wasn't to say the Cruid didn't resist as they had showed much effort in defending their homelands with large armies and attempts at overwhelming force. But the Holden's technology was too great for them. Mana cannons blasted out in mass towards the armored spear head of the Holden forces, with the Minotaurs leading the charge and Centaurs falling behind. Despite what mana cannons were capable of against naval ships, these guns weren't of naval caliber and were unable to cause any serious damage to the tank armor.

The only thing the guns managed to do was piss off the crews inside with each strike while being fired at in return. The rocket assisted high explosive armor piercing rounds made short work of the gun batteries as they were blasted to a million pieces, and putting the Cruid into disarray whenever the centaur fired a rocket assisted high explosive round.