𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐏𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐜

I went back to Cindy's house the following day, which was empty. I had messaged her that I wasn't coming home that night, and she understood. I ended up swinging around looking for crime and wrong things. Not much happened, though. I ended up going home and looking for job applications and colleges to get into. I needed to start earning money somehow. Some of the reasonable ones included a news place called 'The Dailey Bugle', and a coffee place called 'Peter Pan's Donut and Pastry Shop,' but they were both in Brooklyn. I mean, it was worth it going to Brooklyn now and then if I got paid.

"Hey Kendrix, I'm home," Cindy said, coming home with a bag of food, "What did you get up to?"

"Just some job searching," I said, "I'm making my application now,"

"Oh really?" she smiled, "Where to?"

I showed her the two places, and she seemed to approve.

"What did you get at the store?" I asked, heading for the bag. Suddenly, she smacked my hand and I pulled away in shock.

"It's a surprise, duh," she rolled her eyes, and I laughed. Then she frowned at my hand, 'What happened?"

"Oh, I fell and scraped it," I lied, "I'm sure it'll be fine,"

"Nope, definitely not," she shook her head, "It's bleeding through and that's some really bad bandage skills,"

"Rude but whatever," I frowned, letting her take off the bloodied bandages. The cuts were worse than I thoughts, with little bits of broken mirror sticking out. I winced as Cindy used tweezers to pull out pieces, bit by bit until it was clean. She then used cleaning alcohol to wipe it, and I pulled my hand away in pain, gasping. The sting filled my hand, and tears welled in my eyes. I bit my lip and gave my hand back, and she wrapped it back up firmly and cleanly.

"See? All better," she gave me a warm smile, kissing my cheek. They burned red with embarrassment, and I looked away, smiling.

"So, any plans for tomorrow?" Cindy asked, putting away the medical equipment.

"No, I don't think so, why?" I replied.

"Well, do you wanna go get some coffee?" she asked, "Before school?"

"Sure," I shrugged, "I'm free," Cindy stood up and I followed, walking over to the groceries.

"Good," she said, "Oh, and also when you sneak out at night please don't leave the window open,"

"What?" I blinked, frozen in place.

"Oh, you know, when you leave the house to do God knows what," she said, "Just please don't leave the window open when you get back," she then emptied the bag, and I was lost for what to say. Did she know?

"Right, sorry," I smiled tightly, walking to my room. I spent the next five minutes overthinking the situation, thinking of any way to make her believe I wasn't Spidergirl. In the end, I realised that the more I tried to stop her from knowing, the quicker she would know. I just had to play it cool.

"I'm going out?" I tried, walking out to where Cindy was, "See you soon,"

"Ok, just let me know if you stay somewhere for the night," she said.

"Oh, I won't," I assured.

'You sure? You seem to do that every time you go out," she laughed, joking.

"Gee, sorry," I scoffed, leaving. I breathed in a shaky breath, stopping. My heart felt like it was going to explode, pain seizing my body. I breathed quickly now, panicking.

"C-Cindy?" I gasped, hoping she could hear me from just outside, "Cindy!"

I slid down the wall, my eyes unfocusing slightly. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't breathe. I lifted my shaky hand slowly to my mouth just as Cindy ran out, turning her head to find me.

"Shit, Kendrix, are you ok?" she skidded to a stop in front of me and fell to her knees, my head in her hands, "Breathe, just breathe," she held me close, but my breathing was still quick and my hands were still shaking. I was crying now, but somehow Cindy being here made it better.

"I-I'm sorry," I sobbed, "I am,"

"Sh, don't be sorry," she whispered, "It's not your fault," Then she kissed me; her soft lips touching mine, and time seemed to stop. When she stopped, my breathing was no longer quick and my hand barely shakes. Of course, tears still rolled down my cheeks, but they were no longer because of what just happened, but because I felt horrible for putting this on her.

"Why don't you stay here?" she joked, helping me up and taking me to my room.

"God, I'm sorry Cindy," I said, wiping my tears, "I don't know what that was,"

"That was a panic attack," she said, getting me to sit on the bed.

"What? But I don't have anxiety," I frowned.

"You don't need to have the anxiety to have a panic attack," she explained, "Kendrix, with what's been going on lately, I don't blame you for having a panic attack. You need to not hold so much in. It's damaging,"

"Yeah, I know," I replied, laying down. Cindy came behind me and curled around me, hugging me.

"Sleep, Kendrix," she whispered, "I'll stay here until you do, ok?"

I felt so safe. In eh past few years of being Spider-girl, never would I have imagined that I would have this much pressure put on me, but ever since I was bitten, I've never had the chance to feel safe when everyone is after you. It wasn't a package deal. Sleep did soon come over me, and I didn't notice Cindy leave if she ever did. I just wish I could take this off her. I felt so bad.

I woke up early the next morning to find Cindy still in bed, rolled over and fast asleep. I slowly got up, creeping over to the window and looking out across the scenery. The sunrise was beautiful, the sun shimmering on the water.

"Happy birthday, Kendrix," Cindy whispered from behind me, hugging me. She had changed into a pair of light pink Pj's with red hearts on them.

'Oh, shit!" I gasped, "How could I forget my own birthday?"

"Don't worry, that's what I'm here for," she pulled me over to the table, "So, before school, you said you would come to the coffee shop with me?" she said.

"Yes I did," I nodded.

'Well then, let's not waste any time," she skipped to her room, getting dressed. I changed into a purple tank top and baggy low-waisted jeans. I also put on a jacket and converse which were patterned with spider webs. I then grabbed my bag and met with Cindy who took me to get a cab. We went to a coffee shop called 'New Yorks Cuppa'.

"Happy Birthday Bitch!" I saw Gunner run up to me, hugging me.

"How come you're here?" I laughed, hugging him back.

"It's your birthday, duh," he rolled his eyes, "But I am here because Cindy and I are going to ensure your birthday is amazing,"

'Please don't make a big deal of it," I begged.

"No can do," Cindy smiled, "Now, let's get breakfast,"

Oh, the hell that is about to happen :D

Also, I'm editing this author note after I finished the book and I literally have all of the chapters ready to post YAY