4-

I decided to go visit the recently opened café at the end of the street I lived in; the one where you had played last week.

I

didn’t know the reason as to why I chose to visit that particular café since I had this one particular café that I liked. It served coffee just the way I liked it.

But that day, I decided to go to the one at the end of the street; the one my friend owned. Maybe, I just wanted to have a change of place and try out a new café, or maybe I wanted to go there to relive you.

A part of me knew you wouldn’t be there, but at the same time, a part of me wanted to go there so that I could relive that day better once I went there.

I entered through the doors of the newly opened café. I smiled as I was immediately greeted by the strong, sweet scent of coffee, and chocolate.

This place was perfect. There were not too many people there, and there was peace and quiet, with the occasional chatter of a few people present there.

I looked around and felt nostalgic. The image of your petite and flawless form playing the piano came into my mind and I wanted to do nothing more than to see you again. I wanted to ask you my questions and I wanted to hear you play again.

Unknowingly, my feet carried me towards the mahogany piano sitting at the corner of the café. My fingers brushed across the keys that you had played on, a week ago and unknowingly, I smiled faintly, looking at my old friend.

Sure, it was a different piano but it was a piano and it was my life.
Without any further ado, I seated myself on the bench and inhaled deeply. And the next thing I knew, I had my eyes closed and fingers running along the black and white keys of the piano.

I told to it my story and it listened. But like you, I too told a story of loss and pain, with a little longing as well.
My story wasn’t a happy one either. It was filled with loss and pain and sorrow. I never wanted to think about these things and I never wanted to give in to these weaknesses and so I told them to the piano and it heard.
And the longing I had, was to see you once again. The desire to meet you grew even more as I kept playing, thinking about my pain, which took me to your pain.

I told to it everything; all my loss and all the pain I had been enduring during the past many years of my life. I put every ounce of my pain into every note I played, like I had always done, but even the piano wasn’t able to take all my pain away.

The notes grew fainter as the song came to an end. I opened my eyes, not letting my fingers leave the piano, afraid that I’d ruin the atmosphere if I lifted my hands off.

After a moment, I turned to get up and go back home, but the next thing I knew I was being engulfed in a tight hug. The presence felt familiar.
As I opened my eyes, I saw Hoseok, my only friend, hugging me tightly. It made me warm.

Hoseok had always been a ball of sunshine. His smile could literally light up the world. He was the kindest person I knew, which was why he was the only friend I had.  

The other people present there had also gathered around and those who hadn’t were sitting silently on their chairs. All eyes on me and I could see admiration and awe in each and every eye.

“Yoongi, that was amazing!!!” Hoseok told me, breaking the silence, and patting my back while smiling his sunshine smile. I thanked him shyly.

Hoseok was my friend who owned the café. I had known him since forever and both of us had been through literally everything together.