Chapter 26

KLAIRE

I stared at Sergei straight in the eye and not budging. This way, I can intimidate him into shifting his mind away from what strange thought he is thinking about us now. I didn't know that peasants lean too much into thinking lewd and awful stuff when two people are alone.

Even Shayne, who peeked through the entrance went silent, just observing how I intimidated Sergei.

"I was about to say that Kingston was back at the walled city," he spoke, finally shifting his thought and averting his gaze, staring at Shayne who was also staring at him. The eyelids of the two were flinching towards each other, making me slightly furrow my eyebrows.

"Apparently, new dungeons have been opened to withhold accused people," he continued while Shayne and I only listened until he went silent after a moment. Shayne was blinking like a lady flicking away a hex's gaze.

"No news of Cathera?" Shayne asked him, standing up, and stopping from leaning clumsily on the doorframe.

"I'm afraid not," He replied, stuttering.

"Why so? All I know is... similar to what happened to Tygron we know she is marked," Shayne anxiously continued before glaring at me.

"Cathera?" Tygron beside me asked. "Cathera's out there we should..."

"You cannot even stand or walk properly right now. Stop that," I interrupted, holding my finger close to my mouth and looking at him.

"Those things are going to come back for her as soon as night falls again," I added "If only Elle were here."

"Who's Elle?" Sergei asked.

"We need help, that is," I said, slipping through his question. "The question is why of all things a friend disappears when she is much more needed."

"Kingston is doing what he can, he has spoken he'll return as soon as he figures where they are," he tried to ease my worries.

"I want to sleep," I said looking at the ground before standing up and leaving the room passing beside Shayne. I went to Tygron's room.

"What happened to Cathera?" Tygron asked them when I left the room.

Sergei stared at Shayne making the other look back at him. Their eyes were giving signals to each other before Shayne finally spoke. I could see them from behind as I walked away, towards Tygron's room so I could take a short rest I hadn't taken for a while. Air continued blowing softly on the destroyed wall in front of the bed. I simply ignored it and curled up, embracing the comfort of the sheets I never had.

"Apparently, Klaire was the only one who saw her before she got taken," Shayne explained to him, softly. She finally entered their room from parking at the entrance and passing in front of Sergei, his back in line with the open door.

"Don't worry, Kingston ought to get her out there." She added.

The two left the room, downstairs and did whatever business they intended to do to pass the time. I kept resting my head on the pillow as I curled up, looking at the hands I was encasing.

I looked at my long unkempt nails, staring at what should be considered claws for their length. I tried picking on the grime under it, softly digging each of my nails one by one. Even if the grime was removed, my nails remained yellowish and wrinkly. My fingers also darkened at the tip. I rotated my hands, observing the gradient of my skin from pale olive to dark grey from the palms to my fingers.