Part 25

Lee sat at the kitchen table, nursing a beer. He should have been asleep hours ago, but he couldn't. His mind just wouldn't stop racing. He could have lost you tonight, or that son of a bitch could have-

"Son?" Your grandpa stood looking at Lee with concern.

Lee looked up from his hands with a tired frown. "Sorry, George, I wake ya'?" He asked.

Your grandpa shook his head. "Nah, I wasn't sleepin' anyway." He huffed, walking over to the refrigerator and grabbed himself a beer too.

He smiled to himself as he thought about the telling off you'd give him for drinking at such a late hour.

"Yer gonna make that bastard pay, ain't ya', son?" George looked over his shoulder at Lee.

Lee nodded. "He ain't gettin' away with it this time, George, don't ya' worry."

George nodded. "Good, 'Cause if ya' didn't take care of it, I would, 'n ya' wouldn't have my blessin' no more." George sat opposite Lee. "My grand baby is the most important thing to me, son."

Lee nodded, "Me too, George." He let out a heavy sigh. "It's already taken care of." Lee began smirking to himself as he thought about his plan.

The pair sat in silence as they drank their beer, both thinking about the same thing and before long the house was lighting up red as a police cruiser screeched to hault outside.

"Hang on!" George called out as he went to answer the constant hammering on the front door. "D'ya mind, my granddaughter is resting." He grumbled at the panicked deputy.

"Is Sheriff Bodecker, here?" The young man asked.

George nodded and turned to Lee. "It's for you."

Lee took a deep breath as he stood from his chair. "What the hell is, Deputy? Thought I told ya' I ain't want buggin' until-"

"It's Bobby-Ray Riley, sir..." The deputy interrupted Lee in a panic. "He's dead."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lee smirked proudly to himself as he sat looking at the photographs of the scene. He warned that bastard he'd make him pay if he ever hurt you.

"What the hell happened 'ere, deputy?" Lee asked the deputy that was meant to be watching the cells.

He shook his head. "I had to help book someone in 'n then they all started fighting." He pointed over to the other cell where the usual drunken bar flies were. "Somethin' 'bout, Bobby-Ray and his friend, spouting their mouths off." He shrugged. "When we got in there 'n finally broke it up, Bobby-Ray, was on the floor. Dead."

Lee sat back in his chair, putting his feet up on his desk. He knew what really happened. He was glad he knew who was on Leroy's payroll and who wasn't. All he needed to do was promise to lose some paper work and they'd do the rest for him.

Lee quickly sat up as there was a knock on his office door. He quickly cleared away everything and dropped the folder into his desk draw befite he cleared his throat. "Come in."

The door opened and you smiled tiredly at Lee as you stepped in. "Hi."

Lee's brow softened as he stood up and walked over to you. "Sugar, wha'cha doin' 'ere?" He wrapped his arms around you and pressed a kissed to your forehead.

You buried your face in his chest as you squeezed your arms around him. "I missed ya'." You frowned, "Should I leave?"

Lee shook his head. "Nah, I could do with the help, actually." Lee lied. He didn't really need any help but you looked so scared and vulnerable, he couldn't send you away.

"Oh, good," You smiled thankful up at him before leaning up and pressing your lips against his. "Thank you." You whispered.

Lee chuckled. "For what? Giving you loads of paperwork todo?" He teased.

You shook your head with a giggle. "No, for looking after me last night."

Lee shook his head, "I'll always look after ya', baby girl." He promised.