2. Red Flag

Why can't people read our terms of service? Or follow them? But if they did, I wouldn't have this job. Job? Hah! Bottom of the heap at a dating site, screening new accounts. Far below my quals and little chance of moving up. But it covers the mortgage until I find something better ...

My thoughts were interrupted by Frank's voice as he entered my cubicle, "Got a hot one for you to take on, Rosario. A financial predator."

I looked up from my computer screen. "Melissa does those."

"Yeah, but she's starting her vacation next week."

"Oh! Can't she do it before?"

"These cases need long, slow approaches, and they usually require face-to-face meetings. Her wealthy widow persona has worked well, and she's drafted some instructions and guidelines. I'll have her send you access to the doc, then after you've read it, you can meet with her to discuss the process and any concerns."

"But she's nearly fifty, and that fits the widow scenario – particularly since she is one. I'm thirty-four, never married, let alone widowed."

"Widows come in all ages, Rosario. From teens on up."

"True, but wealthy ones?"

Frank shrugged. "Married into wealth."

"Yeah, okay. But, why me?"

"You've done well policing the spam, the porn and the sexting – and identifying potential predators like this one. With your psychology and data analysis background, you're being underutilised – it's time for you to move up. And with Melissa being away, the timing is right."

I smiled and nodded. "Move up, so does this mean a salary increase?"

Frank winced. "I'll see if I can get one approved."

Then curious, I asked, "Is this the predator I flagged yesterday?"

"It is, Rosario, and this is why I've thought of you handling it. You pieced together widower, financial advisor, property manager and a strikingly handsome profile photo."

I turned to my keyboard, went to history and clicked on Xander. "And the interests – fine dining and great wine, skiing, sailing, travelling, snuggling. God, who wouldn't be intrigued?"

"Exactly! A classic red flag. Need to entrap him."

"Why can't people like this be real?"

"The real ones don't need an online dating site."

"True." I laughed. "That's why I never find them."