25. Of Natural Cooking

After we had shared a shower with sensual mutual washing, Roxy and I dried each other, continuing our easy banter. Then during a spell of silence, my mind drifted to Gillian and how similar this was. But it would be – I'm half the equation here. More than that, though. I've guided her to my preferences.

Darn! I should have allowed her to take the lead. Do that the next time.

But will there be a next time? Was this only to satisfy her thirst? Then she'll move on. Hard to read. Shows signs of infatuation, then she becomes remote. Maybe a conflict with thoughts of her – her previous. Yeah, likely that. Need to give her space for it.

Her passion, though. God! Seemed unstoppable until her energy waned. I glanced at the bulkhead clock. Oh, my. Fourteen thirty-eight already – no wonder she's sapped – close to half an hour of vigorous exercise on nothing but coffee and biscotti since last night.

"We should finish here, Roxy. It's well past lunchtime."

"Ummm, yeah, just thinking about coordination. The matsutakes will rehydrate while the rice cooks; the scallops should be nearly thawed, and they need only to be set out from the fridge to finish. Twenty to twenty-five minutes until lunch."

"Great! I'll go up and get your clothes, so you can begin."

"No need. I often cook like this." She chuckled. "A twist on the new French trend – cuisine naturelle."

"Oh, my! Really?"

"Yeah, I got into the habit during the heatwave two summers ago – no air-conditioning." She hung her towel on the heater rail and shrugged. "I now sail this way whenever it's warm."

"Ummm. Gillian and I used to do that."

"I can dress if this triggers feelings."

I nodded down. "Already triggered – but by thoughts of you, not of her."

She giggled, then reached out and patted it on the head. "Down, boy. Let me restore my energy first."

Oh, God! Still hungry after all of that. Don't know if I can keep up with her.

I followed her to the galley, in awe of the wondrous movement of her butt as she walked. Natural or putting on a show for me? Whatever, it works.

She opened the pack of dried matsutakes and tipped the contents into a bowl, then she looked up at me and shrugged. "From the taste last night, they had likely restored them in wine, so I'll do the same."

As she poured McWatters chardonnay over them, she said, "Always better to use the accompanying wine for this – and for cooking."

Hmmm. Just as Gillian had taught in the wine and food classes. Don't mention this, though. Might trigger memories of her own past. "Indeed, it helps bond one to the other."

After she had measured some rice and water into a pot and set it on a high flame, I asked, "What proportion do you use?"

"With unsoaked Basmati, I do one-and-a-half water. Take it to a rolling boil, then cover and turn down to a slow simmer until the water's gone. Fifteen to twenty minutes. A faster alternative is three to one, fast boil until the water's gone, then off the heat with a tight lid for ten minutes."

"Yeah, the second is the one I use. Easier to watch, so it doesn't scorch."

"True, but not quite as fluffy as this." She nodded toward the stove.

We carried on our discussion of methods while she clarified some butter and cut, cleaned and segmented a huge red pepper for flame-roasting.

Then opening two small paper bags, she said, "They had no shitakes, so I bought fresh chanterelles and morels. They'll change the flavour and texture of the sauté, but I think for the better."

Oh, my! This woman.