16. Back in the Office

"What the eff, Rosario? Four hundred and twenty dollars for dinner?"

"That's only one-third of it, Frank – all that he allowed me to take. He argued that he had invited me and that he had ordered everything, so two-thirds were his."

"What did you eat? A platter of white truffles? And why did you offer to share?"

"We had wine with each course. But my offer was to demonstrate wealth – as Melissa had told me to do. I had a tough time convincing him to let me."

"Yeah, the protocol. But when he resisted, why didn't you yield?"

"I needed to pretend this was normal for me; otherwise, he might have moved on to genuine pluckings, and we wouldn't have him focused on me. I have him well hooked, now – appears he's after my body, as well as my investments."

"No, Rosario." Frank shook his head. "No, you don't have to resort to that."

"It's fine. I know my limits and how to handle myself." I chuckled. "Besides, being demisexual keeps me from being tempted."

"God, everyone has a label these days. They just keep adding to the rainbow alphabet. What's this one?"

"Feeling no sexual desire until a strong emotional bond has been established." I shrugged. "That's why I'm still single at nearly thirty-five. Men always lose patience and walk away."

Frank ran his gaze up and down me, nodding. "Attract but don't act. Always wondered why some are that way. With your looks, you'd have attracted far more than your fair share." He winced. "Sorry. Not appropriate."

"Don't worry about it; I get that a lot."

"Yeah, I'm sure you must." He shook his head again. "So, what's your plan?"

"To continue leading him on. I now have his full name, as well as the name of his boat and where he moors. When we left the restaurant last night, he pointed her out to me, and –"

"Her? Who's she? Another woman involved?"

I chuckled. "No, by tradition, boats are referred to as she and her."

"Ah, okay. I knew that. Fine that you have solid ID, but that's far short of enough, Rosario. We need to catch him diverting your assets. Documented proof of fraud for the police."

"That's coming, Frank. When we began discussing my finances, he said he'd refer me to a colleague, mentioning friendship and beyond arm's length. The classic spin-off that Melissa had told me about."

"Yeah, covering his tracks. So, how are you going to show evidence of the handoff?"

"I've not given him any contact information to pass along, and he understands my concern. I'll get him to write down his colleague's info for me to contact."

"How will that prove anything?"

"His handwriting. It can be compared by the police."

"Yes, of course. But what if he simply gives you a business card? Maybe a computer printout?"

"Hmmm! Yeah, possible. What if I have him write a brief note on it, a referral, so the colleague doesn't think I'm just anyone off the street.

"Ummm, that should work. So, when's your next contact with him?"

"Ten-thirty." I pulled out my iPhone and checked the time. "Another hour and a bit."

"A morning meeting. He's moving fast." Frank waved my expense claim at me. "Good, at least it won't be another tab like this one."

"I'll have to buy a dozen jumbo scallops and some exotic mushrooms – some other things, as well."

"What? Whatever for?"

"I offered to show him how to prepare them like we had last night."

"You've really gotten into this. When are you back in the office?"

"Likely not until tomorrow. We're sailing to the islands and anchoring. I'll cook a late lunch there, then who knows?"