20. Heading Out

Xander took me on a tour of Tastevin, beginning aft and working forward, explaining as we went. So spacious and so well equipped. Everything spotless and sparkling. The galley like a dream. Two fridges and two freezers, a four-burner stove and a huge oven. Double sinks and a dishwasher. Oh, Dios mío!

Continuing forward, my mind buzzed with all the convenience and obvious comfort. The Aleutians would have been far easier in this. The couch and those chairs seem to be begging me to sink into them.

Then in the master cabin, while I stared at the king-size bed and imagined what we might do in it, I was popped out those unfamiliar thoughts by Xander's voice, "The flush buttons are here, Roxy. Simple, the small for quick, the big for full. Your towels are the ones on the left."

"Umh? Oh, electric. Not a hand pump."

"That's why the hand-pumped one in the aft head – in case of power failure."

"Yeah, contingencies. Have you ever lost power?"

"In previous boats, yes, but not with this one – added lots of redundancy. The solar panels, the wind turbine, the diesel generator and the engine alternators keep the batteries well-charged."

"Yeah, solar panels keep mine up."

He chuckled. "And the fuel for those is free. Toss your backpack onto the bed, Roxy. Let's finish the tour up top while we prepare to head out."

"Hmmm, yeah – forgot I had it on." On the bed? Suggestive? Or just where we are? And why does that intrigue me?

A while later, after we had slipped from the berth and Xander had taken Tastevin out into the light traffic of False Creek, he said, "Take the helm, Roxy. Steer on the right edge of the Granville Island Hotel until around the point; I'll go below and pull us some espressos. Or would you prefer a cappuccino?"

"Espresso's my preference. But trusting me with your boat? I can go down and figure out the machine."

"If you're good enough to have soloed to the Aleutians and back, this is simple for you. Besides, I'm only ten seconds away down there if anything arises."

"Ummm, yeah."

While he descended the steps, my mind spun. Oh, Dios mío! A dream man. Not domineering like so many. And so easy with his wealth. Not flaunting it. Natural confidence. Yeah, the origin of the word con.

With all he has, why does he need to prey? And why do I find him increasingly attractive?

No, I don't. Hmmm! But I do. Why? His wealth? The billionaire trope? The bad boy trope? The Mafia trope?

Reading too much copycat romance on Wattpad. But back to here. Back to navigating. So exciting. Such a feeling of power handling her.

A while later, as I steered around the point and settled on a course toward the bridge, my mind kicked in again. I could really get into this. But that's betraying my soul, everything I hold dear. Honesty, integrity ...

"I pulled doubles for us, Roxy," Xander's voice surprised me as he ascended to the cockpit, a tray in his hands. "And we've a basket of biscotti to accompany."

Oh, God! This man. "Ooh! Thank you."

"Are you getting a feel for her?"

Getting the feels for you. "Ummm. Yeah, so easy to handle, so responsive."

"Let me show you how the autopilot works. Even easier that way. Need only to monitor it and maintain a lookout."

Lookout, yeah. The way I'm feeling, I need to. Seriously need to.