CHAPTER FIFTY TWO

T R I G G E R W A R
N I N G

blood, cringe smut, swearing

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

F I F T Y T W O

"I FIGURED I'd find you in a spot like this."

My head shot upward and another score of cold air struck my face as my eyes fell on Mattheo's. I looked away from him, focusing my eyes on the view I sat in front of, not really sure how to feel about him being here.

He sat down next to me, dangling his legs off the edge of the Astronomy Tower, just as I was doing. The vast picture of unknown land spread out for what seemed like forever; the constellations hanging in the sky above, creating a small pathway of light, which illuminated the mountains in the far distance.

"You should let someone know when you're coming here," Mattheo mumbled, playing with his calloused hands in his lap. An audible sigh left his parted lips as he leaned to his right, resting his shoulder and head against the pillar of stone.

I scooted closer to the edge, feeling my heart beat faster in my chest. I wasn't planning on jumping, I just wanted to feel a little more.

"Careful, there." Mattheo straightened at the slip of my hand, though I caught myself quickly, retreating from as far over the edge I was.

A couple moments of silence hugged us as we sat high up in the cold air; I didn't mind the silence, I really didn't. If anything, it was nice, to some avail. I would rather sit in the silence than talk about any of the things that we needed to talk about.

And then, almost as if he had read my mind, Mattheo shifted, and I held my breath as I heard the small gasp he took before beginning to speak. "Do you want to talk about it?" he questioned, though being uneasy about asking. He was trying his best to think before he spoke, as if he were walking on eggshells around everything he said.

I thought about his question.

The word 'it' had so many possibilities.

Finally, I sighed. "About which thing?"

From the corner of my eye, I watched him slightly shrug. "Any of it. All of it... none of it."

The truth was, I did want to talk about it; all of it. There were questions that I'd had to write down on paper, so that I didn't forget them, misconceptions and confusions whirling around in my head.  But I didn't know where to start, nor what questions to ask. And even if I did, I still didn't know how to ask them the right way.