Mordo and the Ancient One

I do not own Doctor Strange in any way, shape, or form.

Stephen turned into an alleyway. He knew he was close to his destination and couldn't quit, but the sun was too hot and he couldn't bear its pounding heat any longer.

A sharp sound made him turn around, only to find that he was cornered by three guys, armed and dangerous.

"Guys, I… I don’t have any money." Stephen said, rasing his arms I'm surrender as he backed away from the three men.

"Your watch." One of the men said in a deep, heavily accented voice, pointing to Stephen's wrist.

"No, please. It’s all I have left." Stephen pleaded, covering his watch with a shaky hand.

"Your watch." The man demanded again, stepping forward and grabbing the front of Stephen's shirt.

Gasping, Stephen grabbed the man's wrist. "All right, all right, fine!"

Stephen felt his watch being ripped off his wrist as the man threw him to the ground.

Stephen felt a foot dig into his side and he let out a muffled sob. Another kick found his stomach. The kicks continued as Stephen desperately tried to defend himself from the harsh blows, curling up as much as possible against the cold wall.

A loud grunt sounded from above him and the assault stopped. After a minute of silence, Stephen cautiously looked up and saw no one there. Deciding it was safe, Stephen pushed himself into a sitting position.

The reason the men had disappeared, Stephen found, was a dark-skinned man in what seemed to be dark green robes, fighting off the muggers.

The man only stilled long enough to watch the three men run off, then picked something off the ground and walk to Stephen.

He held out the watch and Stephen took it, dismayed at the cracked screen, but thanking the man. The stranger smiled and help Stephen to his feet. "You’re looking for Kamar-Taj?"

~

Stephen followed the dark-skinned man –he introduced himself as Baron Mordo– through the narrow, crowded, and lively streets of Kathmandu until they reached a set of doors so similar to the houses around it that it would be impossible to find unless you knew what you were looking for.

"Kamar-Taj." Mordo announced.

Stephen stared at him. "A-are you sure you got the right place? That one looks a little more...Kamar-Taj-y." he motioned to the Buddhist temple across the street, statues on display, bald monks meditating in the safety of the shade, and incess clouds floating around.

Mordo barely even looked at the temple before he gave Stephen an unamused glare. "I once stood in your place. And I, too, was… disrespectful." The Baron paused, resting a hand on the brass door handle. "So let me offer you some advice: forget everything you think you know."

"Oh, okay, um... alright.” Stephen agreed hesitantly.

Mordo nodded, satisfied, and pushed open the door. “The sanctuary of our teacher, the Ancient One.”

“The Ancient One? What’s his real name?” Stephen asked, Mordo ushering him inside the cool building- a stark contrast to the burning heat outside. Mordo's unamused expression made Stephen duck his head. “Right. Forget everything I think I know. Sorry.”

The hallway they had entered led to a large room, much like a classic sitting room. A large table was pressed up against a wall, the chair empty. The room was flooded with natural light, streaming in from the windows. Two figures sat in the middle of the room, murmuring quietly, kneeling on small cushions across from each other.