sling ring

Like promised by the Ancient One, Tony and Stephen had a full day of work, lessons, and studying. First, they had been woken early by one of the masters going around, rapping on doors as they walked down the hall, waking everyone up.

Ten minutes later, every beginner at Kamar-Taj was gathered in the courtyard, dressed in the training uniform; a short-sleeved white shirt, a gray tunic, and matching pants. Baron Mordo, who Stephen didn't particularly like, appeared over the crowd. Some sense of organization began to appear as he lined people up and briefed them on the lesson of the day. "Now we practice ancient magic," Mordo began, "magic that has been around longer than the Ancient One has been alive. Centuries longer. Eldritch Magic. It is a form of light-based magic that, as many of you have discovered, gives off light as well as heat. Today's spell is one of the most basic, but most useful. It is called the Tao Mandalas. It is a shield spell." Soon, Tony and Stephen stood shoulder to shoulder, practicing the simple shield spell: one of the most important tools for a sorcerer, Mordo had explained.

Further into the lesson, Mordo moved into the 'why' section. Stephen listened intently, always desperate for deeper knowledge. "Now we will receive the power to destroy the one who betrayed us." The Baron was saying as he walked in between the neat rows.

Stephen looked from his own hands to Tony's. They were doing the same thing, the exact same exercise and hand motions, the only difference being that Tony actually conjured the shields they were practicing that day.

"The one who betrays the world." Mordo continued as Stephen sighed and tried to focus harder.

~

Stephen stared in awe at the gold, two-finger ring with a flat top as he picked it up and held it to the light. "Mastery of the sling ring is essential to the mystic arts." Mordo explained, three hours later.

"So that's what these are.." Tony whispered, sliding on onto his short, callused fingers.

"They allow us to travel through the multiverse. All you need to do is focus."

Stephen got into the "magic stance'' they had been taught and thrusted his arms out, copying the others movements. He did it the exact same way, the exact same motions as everyone else, but he wasn't getting it.

"Visualize." Stephen wanted to scream. He was trying!

"See the destination in your mind."

Stephen looked over at Tony, envious of the older mechanic. He had successfully opened a portal to somewhere Stephen couldn't see. A look of concentration and confusion morphed onto his face.

"Look beyond the world in front of you. Imagine every detail."

Tony's portal grew until Stephen could make out what appeared to be the inside of the Avengers Tower.

"The clearer the picture, the quicker, and easier the gateway will come."

Tony's face broke into a grin when the portal fully opened, revealing the common room and large kitchen inside the Avengers Tower that he had built.

"And stop."

The portals disappeared and Stephen groaned, rubbing his face with his shaky hands. Why couldn't he do it?

"I'd like a moment alone with Mr. Strange." The Ancient One spoke, striding into the courtyard. A few students bowed, others looked at her with awed expressions.

"Of course." Mordo quietly dismissed the other students. Tony shot his friend a concerned look, but obeyed the dark-skinned master, leaning against a nearby pillar.

Stephen walked up to the Ancient One, holding out his shaky hands, speaking quietly so Tony couldn't hear their conversation. He didn't need to burden the genius with more problems than he already had.