Chapter 33: Redemption

Lisbeth, relentlessly, swung her mace at Heathcliff's shield, over and over again, with each strike taxing her body more and more. I slashed my Elucidator at Heathcliff's one-handed sword that wasn't powered up and followed up with another strike with my Dark Repulser and repeated this combination over and over again as well. I could have been mistaken but it seemed like Lisbeth and I's onslaught on Heathcliff was beginning to annoy him and his cool and composed expression switched to one of annoyance. He hopped backwards, changed his stance and switched the tactics of his sword skill. His one-handed sword began to glow bright white while his shield returned to its original color of white and red. This was exactly what I wanted to happen and I knew that I didn't have a single second to waste.

"Lisbeth, target his sword!" I hollered, causing Lisbeth and I to quickly switch positions, with each of us pursuing a new target.

Lisbeth swung her mace directly at Heathcliff's sword while he did the same. Both of their weapons clanged into each other but because of his buffed-up attack power, Lisbeth staggered, backwards. Heathcliff was about to deal a devastating strike to her but her attack gave me the opportunity I needed. Without warning, I began to, violently, swing both of my swords onto his shield, stopping him dead in his tracks.

I know this is a leap of faith, I thought to myself. Everything else has been so damn similar to SAO in this world so all I can do is pray that it's the same here.

Despite how tired my body was from, continuously, bringing down my swords upon Heathcliff's shield, rather than slowing down, I only focused my attacks even more, trying to make them land even harder. Heathcliff gritted his teeth in frustration and began to switch stances, again. His shield began to glow white, instead of his sword, meaning he was now focused on defense.

"Lisbeth, attack his sword and don't let up!" I ordered, loudly, in between swings of my weapon.

Instead of asking why we weren't switching this time, Lisbeth obeyed me and began to attack the weapon that was no longer shining, brightly, while I continued on with my onslaught of strikes against Heathcliff's shield.

This...is just like last time, I recalled. The last time I attacked Heathcliff's shield like this, my weapon broke which was my biggest mistake during our duel back in SAO. That one stupid mistake cost me everything. Not this time, though.

A series of memories began to enter my mind as I swung my swords harder and harder, taxing my body in a way that I hadn't ever before. The first memory was of Asuna and Yui surprising me with an apple pie that they had baked for me while I was too busy searching for where Yui came from. How could I ever forget those smiles? How one of those smiles was taken from me...and how I haven't seen the other since I left that damn game.

The next memory was from when Asuna saved me from a member of the Knights of the Blood Oath named Kuradeel, who was actually a member of Laughing Coffin, the murder guild. If it wasn't for her on that day, I would have been killed by him. Asuna wouldn't stop apologizing to me for not being able to deal the final strike on him but how could I possibly blame her for something like that. Asuna was too pure of heart to take another life. I already had blood on my hands by that point and taking Kuradeel's life was nothing, if it meant keeping her safe. I recalled the last words I said to Asuna that day, after I kissed her for the first time.

My life is yours, Asuna.

Not knowing what else to do, Heathcliff changed stances since Lisbeth was close to dealing damage to him and his one-handed sword began to glow bright white again, showcasing his confidence in his so called "unbreakable defense." He thought his shield would be able to withstand my strikes, even without a powerup. My Elucidator broke in half as it met his shield and the sharper end of it landed on the castle floor next to me. Rather than being horrified by this, this confirmed my suspicion.