Who are the Fanatics Now?

A week later, Theo, Greg, Milli, and Daphne trundled up to the school, nearly half-way through the first term. Pansy was delighted that she'd no longer be alone in her dorm room. I was simply delighted that my friends had responded to my letters and believed in me.

It meant Harry and I lost our private-ish room and the second Slytherin common room should have been greatly reduced in size, apart from I'm fairly sure Hermione, Luna, and Daphne cast an illegal extension charm on the room. Different furniture was transfigured as two more beds and more desks filled the space. I was suspiciously certain that Harry's bed was considerably closer to mine.

Strangely enough, my fellow Slytherins all took the situation between Harry and I in their stride. No one said a thing. I assumed Pansy had prepped them. Like everyone else, they seemed to presume we were together.

The same week, Goldstein finally managed to corner me as I left the Great Hall.

'Er, Draco, can I have a word?' he said, chewing on his lip.

I watched, slightly disgusted, and wondered if that was how I looked when I did the same in front of Harry. I resolved never to do it again.

'Of course,' I said, standing still and waiting for him to catch up with me.

'Er, not here.'

I raised a withering eyebrow and said, 'okay, the courtyard.'

'God, you're hot when you look at me like that,' he breathed out. 'Actually, I was hoping for somewhere more private,' he waggled his eyebrows.

'What do you want, Anthony?' I said coldly.

We walked side by side into the cold October air. In the fifth year, Goldstein and I were pretty evenly matched in height and it made for some interesting experiments regarding domination. But now, well, Goldstein obviously hadn't had the traumatic few years that I'd had: he was both stockier and taller than me. I suppose I've always appreciated a stocky, muscular type but Goldstein just made me sneer in distaste. Though maybe that was just him.

I idly wondered if the snow would come early this year

'Are the rumours true, about you and Harry Potter?' he turned to me, catching my arm and pulling me down onto one of the stone seats that lined the quadrangle.

I shook my arm free and immediately stood. 'I'd appreciate it if you didn't manhandle me, Anthony.'

'You used to like it, do you remember, in the spare potions lab?'

'That was when it was consensual and when we were trying out different things to see what we liked. It was also three years ago. Perhaps I've grown up and moved on a bit since our experimental fumblings.'

He gripped the front of the seat and looked at his feet. 'But, Draco, I love you. There's never been anyone like you.'

'You flatter me, Anthony, but honestly, you need to move on. We were never meant to be. It was fun while it lasted but that was, as I said, three years ago. A lot has happened since and you really don't understand me in the way Harry does.'

'So, it's true then, about you and him.' He looked up at me in abject misery.

'Why do you think he moved into my dorm room?' I raised an eyebrow. Merlin, I was trying to be gentle but honestly, the temptation to be contemptuous with him was simply overwhelming.

He stood and faced me, 'It's the other way around, Draco. He'll never understand what you went through. He wasn't here last year when you were so miserable and tortured.'

'I wasn't miserable and tortured,' I snapped.

The denial was laughable really but I wasn't going to admit that was exactly what I was. And if I'd been miserable and tortured, it was only because I didn't know what was happening with Harry.