Chapter 11

The emptiness left behind was unnerving. It took me a long moment to realise that it had been the end, that the vampires were gone, the one I hated and the one I loved.
Jan was still there to bring me back to our realities.
‘Irena. Irena, it’s over. They left,’ he spoke hollowly. ‘Come. We need to find the others, tend to the wounded and bury our dead.’
I nodded, shakily. Yes, that was the immediate course of action. Together, we found the guards and they went and released everyone else from their various hiding places. The people were very scared and many had barely made it alive. I could only imagine the terrible storm the mad queen had raged throughout the castle.
After the human remains were removed and tended to, the floors and walls scrubbed clean, the hall of thrones was left empty and dark, and redecorated in mourning colours of black and grey. A service would be held there the next day, in memory of Alzbeta’s victims.
That evening, Jan and I sat together in my father’s library, both of us numb and miserable. Doctor Karel had been sent for as a matter of urgency, and he had tended to Jan’s many wounds, dressing them in poultices and sewing them where the skin and muscle had been torn. He could not linger for too long however, as many residents of the castle awaited his help, guards, nobles and members of the staff alike.
‘She was a force of nature,’ Jan told me, his voice trembling at the recollection. ‘There was nothing stopping her. I barely had any time to warn the guards. Captain Jakuv was a hero. He and Captain Vasin alerted the entire castle, evacuated the chambers, told everyone where to run...
‘Unfortunately, some didn’t make it in time. Alzbeta chased us as scurrying mice. Her movements were bolts of lightning, her screams echoed like thunder. We never stood a chance. Her teeth and claws were death.’
His voice became a faint whisper and two tears rolled down his pale cheeks, his sharp, angular features in stark contrast with his long fair hair.
‘She tore Hannah’s head away from her body before my very eyes. Many of the others came upon a similar fate, you saw it yourself. I took up my sword, tried to fight her, but of course, she was faster. My blade fell from my hand and she threw me across the hall at the foot of the throne. My clothes were shredded from me by invisible forces and my throat choked in chains...’
Jan’s words had become almost unintelligible. He was reliving the entire horror scene and my heart wept along with his. I took his trembling hands in mine and squeezed tightly.
‘Don’t...don’t speak of it, Jan. Don’t force yourself to go through it again.’
He squeezed back, his beautiful, shadow-rimmed brown eyes gazing at me from far away.
‘Captain Jakuv found my sword,’ he went on brokenly. ‘He saluted me, then ran to her, intent on killing her. But the blade caused no injury. A bit of blood, and her flesh healed instantly. By God, even her gown sewed itself back seamlessly.
‘She was a lioness unleashed and enraged. Captain Jakuv was easy prey in her teeth. She tore him apart like a rag doll.’
Jan went silent, his face even paler, his entire frame shaking violently. I closed my eyes in deep misery and began crying again. Long moments passed in which both of us faced our own pain bravely, the suffering of all we had lost encompassing our entire universe.
There was a soft knock on the door, but I could not bring myself to answer.
‘Enter,’ Jan answered for me, clearing his rugged voice.
Her eyes red and swollen, her face pale, Johanna stepped inside, a large tray filled with food in her hands. As soon as I saw her alive and well, I sprang from my seat and went to her. I took her in my arms without reserve.
‘I was afraid I had lost you too,’ I whimpered.
She returned the embrace, crying as well, for once forgetting her status. She was my dear friend, the last who had remained by my side.
‘I knew you would come back,’ she whispered. ‘I knew you were safe. I saw Lord Halvard jump from the Queen’s windows and run to find you.’
At his name, tears flooded my eyes and I began sobbing once more. Jan saw fit to intervene just then.
‘Lord Halvard and the former Queen are no longer welcome in our lands. There will be no mentioning of their names ever again.’
He had spoken sternly, but not unkindly. However, it was enough for Johanna to immediately resume her maidservant’s attitude.
‘Yes, my Lord Turek,’ she murmured, then turned to me once more. ‘Will you be requiring anything else, my lady?’
I wiped my eyes and glanced nauseated at the tray with food.
‘No...yes. A bath, if it’s not too much trouble, Johanna,’ I said wistfully. ‘You don’t have to wait on me, I can manage. Just bring hot water to my chamber, then go and rest.’
She attempted half of grin—she knew I knew she would not leave me bathe by myself—and curtsied politely.
‘Of course, my lady.’
After that, she left the library as quietly as she had entered. Throughout my exchange with Johanna, Jan had remained seated, an expression of slight discontent on his features. I could see he did not approve of my affectionate relationship with a simple maid.
‘Johanna is my friend,’ I spoke first, defensively. ‘I am happy to know she was able to hide from Alzbeta in time.’
Jan stood up to his feet and walked limply to me.
‘I understand,’ he said gently. ‘I instead have lost Vasili, my valet. Alzbeta was searching for me and mistook him. He was among the first to perish.’
‘I am truly sorry,’ I whispered.
He glanced away.
‘We are all in mourning. Our entire country bleeds. I hope those monsters never again return to our land.’
I hung my head guiltily. I had not given up hope yet. Through all the mourning, all the darkness and uncertainty, I still hoped.
‘Will you have some food?’ I invited him, searching for a change of topic. ‘You heard Doctor Karel, you must eat in order to regain your strength.’
He gazed at me shrewdly.
‘Will you eat with me?’
I shook my head quickly, unable to bear even the thought of food.
‘I can’t, I’m sorry, Jan. I am too tired to eat. Shall I have the servants deliver the tray to your chambers instead?’
He shrugged.
‘However you wish, although I am not very hungry either. I too shall go and rest. ‘
I nodded and slowly moved to the door.
‘Do not weep for him,’ I heard Jan say, his tone of voice subdued. ‘Weep for your father, whom she slew. Weep for your nursemaid, whom she poisoned, and weep for your fellow countrymen, your own people. Weep for me. But do not weep for him, Irena. He is no longer of this world.’
His words cut deeper than I could have imagined. Were there still pieces of my soul that had remained whole?
‘I will weep for my countrymen, Jan,’ I answered brokenly. ‘I will continue to weep for Father, Nana and you. And I shall weep for Damian too, because my heart still beats today thanks to him.’
I had also meant to say that my heart still beat for Damian alone, but stopped myself in time. Jan frowned, not understanding.
‘Yesterday, Damian saved me,’ I explained. ‘Alzbeta had men kidnap me, hold me hostage and almost rape me. She forced Damian’s hand: to make her into a vampire in exchange  for my life. He chose me.’
My voice broke and I stopped to breathe deeply. Jan’s tired eyes grew large in bewilderment.
‘We looked for you for hours before the slaughter began. At first, we thought she held you prisoner somewhere—‘
‘In a sense, she did. It was all a treachery, of course,’ I scoffed quietly. ‘She had never intended to have me released. Damian gave her his blood and allowed for the change to take place. Then, he came to find me. He saved me from my captors and took me to Father’s hunting lodge. We spent the night trying to find ways to defeat her and avoid bloodshed.’
I wiped another tear in remorse.
‘If we had known she would unleash such terrible tempest throughout the castle, we would have come back sooner, believe me. Damian wanted to return right away and deal with the foul demon by himself. He didn’t want me to follow him, kept insisting that my safety was what most mattered.
‘I was stubborn and wouldn’t allow him to come back alone. That is why we were late, we sat and waited for dawn. So you see, much of what happened here is my fault.’
‘No. No, far from it!’ Jan gushed ruggedly, taking my hand in his, still fighting the tremors. ‘Had I only suspected! Halvard was right, of course. Your safety was—still is—a matter of national security. After last night, we thought—we all thought Alzbeta and Lord Halvard were in agreement. We thought you were already dead. By God, she said so to my face...repeatedly.’
I scoffed again in sadness.
‘Yes, she would say so, wouldn’t she? She wanted all of you to lose hope and stop fighting. Alzbeta never knew how to face the truth openly.’
‘Lies and deceit,’ he whispered. ‘They were Alzbeta’s very life force. And I was such a damned fool to ever believe her, to ever love her!’
Jan covered his eyes and began crying in earnest. I walked back to him, full of pity and compassion.
‘Do not weep for her, Jan,’ it was my turn to murmur. ‘She was never worthy of you.’
His hand searched for mine once more and he lifted his eyes to gaze at me sorrowfully.
‘It’s true,’ he whispered. ‘The former Queen drew me in a clever trap and I fell willingly in it. From the first time I saw her, I knew my soul was her prisoner. How I wish that you, Princess, had been my true gaoler instead!’
I blinked at him surprised.
‘I shan’t be anyone’s gaoler,’ I murmured. ‘If my destiny is one of loneliness, then so be it.’
His eyes, so brown and deep-set, twinkled mysteriously, but his expression remained sombre. I drew my hand away from his and walked back to the door.
‘Good night, my Lord Turek. Rest well.’
‘Good night, your Highness,’ he said softly, bowing with difficulty.
Both of us were well aware there would be no rest for us for a long time.
Once in my chambers, I was free to be miserable for my own reasons. Even though Johanna awaited me and helped me bathe, I could not find the strength to swim back from the dark depths of despair.
But my sorrow had to wait. There was something else I needed to do with the utmost urgency. I staggered to my writing desk and grabbed parchment and quill. With trembling hand, I wrote ten letters, more than half of which soon became illegible with big splotches of tears.
Johanna was watching me curiously. I turned to her, wiping my face with my sleeve.
'Johanna, I need help with these letters,' I muttered shakily, showing her the stack of parchment that was now closely sealed.
'Are they all...for him?' my maid murmured quietly.
I nodded.
'He could be anywhere. I need you to find me someone I can trust. No one must know of this, Johanna. No one, do you understand?'
Johanna took the letters and held them against her chest.
'Leave it to me, your Highness. I know a few loyal messengers.'
She dashed out of the chamber after that, and I gave out a heavy sigh. This was my only hope. My maid held my life in her hands. Not half an hour later, Johanna came back, a smile and a nod from her my only reassurance.
‘What really happened with Lord Halvard?’ she asked shyly after a time, while helping me undress.
I sank into the warm rose and jasmine scented bath and allowed her to massage my stiff shoulders. I heaved a deep sigh at her question, closing my eyes in torment, hoping that the water would help soothe some of the pain away.
‘I’m sorry, I forgot myself,’ she said quickly at my lack of reaction.
‘No...no, don’t apologise, Johanna,’ I murmured, gripping her hand affectionately for a moment. ‘Lord Halvard was a high member of this court for a long time. Anyone would be curious.’
There was a moment of silence in which neither of us said anything. Finally, Johanna seemed to pluck up the courage to speak again.
‘So, is it true then? Lord Halvard and the Queen were lovers?’
Her question stabbed me through to the heart. What should I answer? If I spoke the truth, word would spread. I loved Johanna and trusted her. But would she be able to keep such a secret to herself? After all, telling the truth would also involve Jan’s treachery with Alzbeta. He was High Lord Protector now and Head of the Council, well-favoured by all members. His judgement was wise, and his heart gentle. I did not have the strength to condemn him and ruin his life. Had he not suffered enough?
I swallowed thickly, deciding to act for the greater good. Wherever he was now, my lie would not affect Damian anymore.
‘Yes, Johanna, it’s true,’ I said coarsely. ‘They were lovers.’
She gasped, her hand stilling on my shoulder for a moment.
‘I am so...so very sorry,’ she murmured. ‘I knew how much you cared for him, despite what he truly was.’
I scoffed bitterly. Was there anyone in this entire castle who did not yet know?
‘We all feared him,’ she went on obliviously. ‘But we respected him. His affection for you was obvious. And all the victories he gained for Bohemia were legendary. I can’t imagine how he could betray you so!’
She spoke heatedly, her hands lathering my hair.
‘Such things happen, Johanna,’ I said tiredly, hoping her curiosity was satisfied already.
‘When his Majesty named Lord Turek as your betrothed, we were all surprised. We had expected Lord Halvard to—‘
‘I know, I did too.’
Another short pause, and I could literally feel her anxiousness.
‘But he did find you, didn’t he?’
I sighed helplessly.
‘Yes, he came to find me and he saved me from the men Alzbeta had had me taken. He told me what happened and we came back to try and stop her.’
I heaved a great sigh and closed my eyes. There was no need to mention all the other occult details.
‘As it was soon proven, we were too late. Damian was able to take Alzbeta away, but the damage was already done and many lives lost.’
‘But many were saved, too. And Lord Turek helped us wake everyone and send them into hiding. He is truly a good man.’
I opened my eyes and gazed at her.
‘Indeed, he is, Johanna. A good and kind man.’
None of us said anything after that. Johanna helped me out of the bath, wiped my body with linen towels and dressed me in a new silken chemise.
‘You’ve lost weight, my Lady,’ she said softly. ‘You have not eaten anything today, have you?’
My limbs heavy with exhaustion, eyelids drooping with sleep, I could but shake my head. I laid myself in bed and slid under the covers, my eyes closing at once.
I slipped on ice and fell all the way down in the frozen clearing. Alzbeta was waiting for me there, her sharp fangs shining, her hair very red, in stark contrast with the white landscape. In her hands, she held a vivid red apple, the most beautiful fruit I had ever seen.
‘Come, Irena, taste it,’ she invited softly.
I was very hungry, so I eagerly trudged through the snow to her. My fingers reached to touch the apple, but as they did so, the fruit changed, bulging awkwardly and throbbing. It was now a living, beating human heart. Horrified, I could not touch it, even though Alzbeta kept insisting I did so.
‘Come taste it, don’t be afraid. It is the most delicious thing you will ever experience.’
From behind her, a shadow appeared, tall and handsome and foreboding. Damian wrapped his arms around her, his own hands cupping Alzbeta’s, which still held the beating heart.
‘You must taste the richness of the fruit to know,’ he said to me placidly. ‘There is no going back now.’
I did not know what he meant, but all of a sudden, my hand reached out to touch the heart of its own accord. I fought to stop myself, but my fingers closed around the heart’s warm, glistening surface. Instantly, there was a terrible searing pain that made me cry out. As I glanced down, I saw a wide gaping hole in my own chest, blood smearing my bodice, blood oozing down my hand.
‘Bite,’ Damian commanded.
I gazed at him through tears, the pain in my chest pulsating ever stronger.
‘No. Please, don’t make me do it,’ I implored.
‘Taste it,’ Alzbeta pressed again. ‘It is the only way.’
‘Please, no. I don’t want to.’
His eyes dull and unblinking, Damian walked slowly to me, his hands cupping mine as they had Alzbeta’s only moments before, lifting my heart to my mouth.
‘Bite, Irena,’ he spoke softly, but sternly.
Tears always streaming down my face, I opened my lips obediently and bit. The muscle gave way easily and warm blood invaded my mouth, enveloping my whole universe in a red haze. In the next moment, I felt my knees gave way, all awareness gone.
‘It is done!’ Alzbeta shouted triumphantly.
I fell on my back in the frozen snow, my glazed eyes staring fixedly at the pale blue winter sky. Damian lifted me in his arms, then deposited me carefully inside a narrow crystal coffin. He put the lid on and I could not move, nor could I cry to him to release me. Utterly helpless, I watched Alzbeta bend down to grin happily, then watched Damian pick up long iron nails and hammer. He started a quick precise rhythm, each nail sealing the lid over my deathbed and over my throbbing heart.
Bang-bang, bang, bang-bang, he went on methodically, all around the lid.
‘Help me! Help me! Heeelp!’ I shouted, but the shout never left my throat, my lips forever clasped together.
No one could hear me, no one would come, and Damian kept banging away undisturbed. Bang-bang, bang-bang.
I jumped awake panting and deeply shaken. The dream had felt so real. Even now, Damian’s rhythmic nail banging was ringing in my ears, echoing in the castle’s silence. But something was indeed making that noise. It took me another instant to realise that the persistent sound was coming from my windows.
Fearfully, I slid down from the bed and tiptoed barefooted to the terrace doors. My sweaty hand gripping the brass handle, I let out a loud gasp of surprise. On the other side, there was a large black bird flapping its wings steadily, its beak hammering against the window pane. It had round, gleaming yellow eyes that stared at me directly and, as I opened the door, it flew inside and settled on my shoulder purposefully. I recognised Damian’s raven from the forest, the one he had sent on ahead to the castle, the one that had warned us of Alzbeta’s murderous deeds.
‘What are you doing here, bird?’ I asked, staring at him in bewilderment. ‘Did your master send you?’
Hope flooded my heart. Damian was here, he had to be! He had sent his bird to let me know he would be coming for me, I was certain.
‘Tell me, bird,’ I breathed urgently, my heart racing wildly. ‘Is Damian well? Is he coming back?’
The raven fluttered from my shoulder and perched himself on my arm instead, his yellow eyes brimming with intelligence. His beak moved quickly and he pecked at my palm, drawing blood. I winced in pain, frightened he would attack. Then, foreign new images flashed before my eyes in quick succession.
Damian and Alzbeta holding hands, taking flight across the frozen rivers and the white mountains. Damian and Alzbeta, standing embraced at the top of a high northern summit, gazing down at what could only be the sea. But which sea?
My heart sank once again.
‘So he is not coming back, then?’ I murmured.
The raven gave a soft cawing and nipped again at my hand, this time not damaging the skin.
‘And he sent you to...what? To show off?’
The raven remained perfectly still, eyes fixed on me.
‘Well, you may just as well go back and tell your master I don’t need you,’ I snapped, shaking my arm to make him leave.
The bird however was not so easily persuaded and I felt his talons sinking themselves more firmly into my arm.
‘Go away!’ I shouted, tearfully.
I stomped out onto the terrace and shook my arm even more violently.
‘Go away, I say!’ but the raven did not move.
Afraid the guards might look up and see me quarrel with a wild bird of prey, I returned inside the chamber and slumped myself on the sofa before the hearth, bird and all. I began crying in earnest, my chest heaving with breathless sobs.
‘Why?’ I whimpered miserably. ‘Why did he leave? Was her magic truly so strong? Did he forget all about me—about us? How could he?’
The raven fluttered up onto my shoulder once more, his beak nibbling in my hair in what was meant a soothing manner, I could only presume.
‘Why did he send you?’ I asked again, not really expecting an answer anymore. ‘To make sure I don’t leave everything and follow him, I suppose...’
We sat together in silence, listening to the crackling of the fire in the hearth. I looked up after a while and saw the bird fast asleep, his beak hid in his lovely coal-black feathers.
‘You are here to stay, aren’t you?’ I suddenly realised.
I rose to my feet and moved across the room slowly. When I reached my bed, I unclasped the raven’s claws from my shoulder and settled the heavy bird on the wooden backrest of a nearby chair. He opened his eyes and blinked questioningly, then flew up and perched himself on top of one of the bed’s foot posts.
With an oddly comforting feeling, I sneaked back under the quilts. I fell asleep in the next moment and slept soundly and dreamlessly until the following morning when Johanna came to wake me.
She drew back the thick curtains to let pale daylight in, then carefully placed the breakfast tray upon the table.
‘Good morning, your Highness,’ she said softly.
‘Good morning, Johanna,’ I mumbled drowsily.
She removed the thick blankets covering me and reached out to help me sit up. When our hands touched, there was a fluttering of wings and the raven tumbled from up high between us. He gave a loud caw, his yellow eyes scrutinising Johanna. My maid gave a whelp of fright and covered her face instinctively.
‘Down, bird,’ I called, reaching out my arm. ‘You will not harm her.’
The raven perched himself regally upon my shoulder.
‘Johanna, this is...’
I broke off for a moment, thinking of a fitting name for my friend.
‘This is Kol, my new companion,’ I said calmly with a small grin. ‘You needn’t fear him. If there is ham on that tray, Kol, feel free to eat it.’
Of course he understood right away and flew straight at the table, where he began feeding ravenously. Poor Johanna was staring from me to Kol and back, not comprehending.
‘But-but who? How?’
I shrugged, standing up to my feet and heading to the mirror cabinet.
‘Lord Halvard sent him,’ I answered simply. ‘He knew I lost Yuri, so he found me a replacement. He is harmless to all who are honest.’
‘Lord Halvard sent a raven to you, my Lady?’
‘Yes.’
Johanna’s expression of bewilderment was almost comical.
‘But why? Surely such a bird belongs in the wild.’
I shrugged and picked up my comb.
‘I just told you. He knew Yuri died and I needed a new companion.’
‘Yes, but a bird of prey?’ she pressed, slightly outraged, her hands busy binding my corset. ‘He’ll scare everyone off.’
I chuckled amused.
‘They will get used to him.’
Johanna bit her lips, not daring object anymore, but I could see how she would dearly continue to do so. The bird frightened her and, as it was soon proven, many residents of the castle tended to walk away in a hurry every time the raven would accompany me.
To me, Kol’s unusual presence soon became a great comfort. It was my only connection with Damian, the only proof of what we had shared together. I would take him along on outings and walks, he would fly high and hunt his own food then. And all the while, he would show me glimpses of Damian in some foreign country or another. As time passed, the glimpses grew scarcer until the raven would show me none. I understood why.
Among all who feared the raven, Jan Turek was the only one not showing his fear. He was already a marked man, in body and spirit. He had been through so much, a large black bird did not scare him. But his disposition, so open and friendly until now, had altered dramatically. He had become sullen and quiet, his eyes dark, betraying the painful scars inside. His countenance too had suffered greatly.
Even from the next day after Alzbeta’s departure, I was shocked to meet Jan in the Council Chamber and see that his shoulder-length blond hair had turned pure white overnight. The trembling in his hands had not yet subsided and his stubborn lack of sustenance contributed to his thin, emaciated look.
‘You must eat something, Jan,’ I murmured chidingly, as I took my place on his left at the Council table. We were yet alone, the rest of the members having sent word of running late.
‘You are unwell. I know you hurt, but you must fight and get past this. Do not think I feel any better.’
He threw me a dark glance, his eyes appraising me.
‘At least you were able to rest, Princess,’ he answered gratingly.  ‘I couldn’t fall asleep for the entire night. I was exhausted, but as soon as my eyelids closed, those images would return to me. I could see our people fallen in the hall...their bodies mangled.’
He broke off and shut his eyes, fighting to resurface from the nightmare that was haunting him even now. Full of pity, I took hold of his shaking hand, trying to comfort him.
The door opened just then to let Baron Yjri and Count Boreslav enter, and Jan drew his hand away from mine, hiding it under the table. No sooner had he done so, than the door was opened again and the rest of the Council members entered the room, filing one after another and taking place at the long rectangular table.
When everyone was seated according to rank and status, Count Boreslav stood up again.
‘My Lord Turek, your Highness, we are sorry for your loss. We would pay our deepest condolences. Yesterday was the darkest day in Bohemia’s recent history.’
The Count’s sorrowful declaration was answered in kind, the others also expressing their sadness and compassion.
‘We would ask you, my Lord Turek, to sign this edict,’ he went on. ‘It refers to extra wages allowed for the victims’ families for the next three months.’
Jan reached out for the document, his eyes skimming across the letters quickly.
‘Agreed,’ he nodded, unclasping the seal of his ring. ‘Although, three months of poor wages means less than nothing.’
As he imprinted the treasury’s seal into hot wax, a deep frown creased his brow. He signed the document nonetheless.
‘My Lord, you know better than any of us how much last year’s drought cost us. The castle’s vault is half empty.’
‘I know perfectly well, my Lord Boreslav. As you can see, my seal and signature are already on the page. I was merely suggesting we do more in the future,’ Jan said.
He then turned to me and showed me the document as well.
‘What say you, your Highness? Three months’ wages is a poor reward for bravery, or not?’
I sensed I was being tested, all the nobles’ eyes on me.
‘Perhaps it is so, given the seriousness of the situation. But since we cannot afford more before harvest time, we may start by raising the army wages,’ I spoke quietly, glancing at the table at large. ‘If our defences strengthen, then the rest of the surviving domains may flourish.’
‘Well said,’ burst Baron Yjri. ‘And since the matter of the security has arisen, I propose we place extra surveillance effectives around our borders. We must do everything in our power so that those monsters never come back here again!’
His words were met with loud displays of approval from everyone present. I hung my head, listening powerless as the men debated ways of disposing the more experienced guards in key positions, and developing efficient training programs for the new recruits.
Jan’s animated voice shook me out of my misery.
‘At last, regarding the matter of your Highness’ coronation day. We have all agreed that it should take place the day before your birthday this April. Of course, we wish to have royal blood ruling the country, but at the same time, Bohemia cannot be deprived of its heir.’
Jan had spoken vaguely so I frowned, not understanding. He cleared his voice softly, his eyes averted.
‘As per your august father’s wish, but also to prevent more turbulence, it has been decided that your Highness should be married by the end of March.’
That was only a month from now. No. It was too soon. I stared at him horrified.
‘Who decided this?’
The nobles all glanced at one another.
‘It was voted unanimously, your Highness, by all of us members of the Council,’ Count Boreslav spoke, then glanced questioningly at Jan.
He was staring at the table with unblinking eyes, his features determined.
‘And, as your Highness knows, it has already been established by the late King your father,’ he said quietly.
‘Well yes, but not before the next year,’ I sputtered.
‘Unfortunately, Princess, we cannot wait another year,’ Count Boreslav intervened again. ‘The country cannot be left without a ruler.’
‘I will rule,’ I spoke clearly and determinedly, ‘but I shall do so alone.’
The members of the Council all released similar cries of outrage, looking at one another, then at me, astonished and displeased.
‘This cannot be!’
‘It’s preposterous.’
‘Quite unheard of!’
‘We shall not support such a deed.’
Jan had remained quiet, his gaze averted, his expression guarded.
‘My Lord Turek?’ Baron Yjri ventured. ‘Our Princess is yet inexperienced. Surely you cannot approve of such an idea.’
At long last, Jan turned to me, his eyes stern.
‘It shall be done as decided, Princess. You are to be married in spring, then crowned Queen of Bohemia a month later.’
I sprang up to my feet, glaring at him.
‘Married to whom, Jan? To you?’ I muttered spitefully. ‘I think not.’
Jan’s eyes threw back sparks and a muscle twitched in his jaw.
‘Despite what Lord Yjri just said, I believe your Highness is wiser than her young years, and thus will think better than to disregard our late King’s specific disposition,’ he spoke, his tone contained.
‘The key-word here, my Lord Turek, is late,’ I hissed. ‘My father is dead, hence his dispositions may undergo revision.’
‘Surely, your Highness doesn’t mean to overlook your dear father’s command!’ Count Boreslav burst, his voice high with indignation.
‘My Lords, this matter is not yet settled,’ I said, pushing my chair back out of patience. ‘I refuse to be forced into marriage so soon after a new tragedy has befallen us and after Lord Halvard—‘
I broke off, my feelings obvious to everyone. Some of the nobles cleared their voices, some looked away from my embarrassment.
‘Will you excuse me?’ I murmured, then exited the Council Chamber mortified.
I ran down the hallways and out across the yard to the stables. The stable boys saddled Snih for me quickly and we rode out through the castle gates and into the frozen countryside.
I would run, I thought. I would run away from this place, as far as I could go. Jan Turek might as well be crowned king and rule this country, for all I cared. Damian was gone and I was alone. I had never wanted the throne anyway.