Prologue

Prologue
Grace Cullen
1950

"Sister, Edward, have either of you seen Esme recently?" Carlisle asked us as Edward and I sat at the piano bench plucking through his newest composition.

"She went hunting with Rosalie and Emmett. They just left an hour or two before you got home." I told him. "You're early getting off of your shift." I noted he was several hours early getting home than he usually is.

"Yes, I had a long surgery this morning and the chief decided to let me come home early." He explained. "What are you two up to?" He asked, noticing Edwards compositions spread all over the piano top.

"I wrote a new piece, but it still needs a lot of work. Mom is helping me sort out the scrambling of notes in my head." Edward explained.

"Well, dont let me stop you then." He chuckled, messing up Edwards hair. "Carry on."

"You know, it's really remarkable how alike you two are at times." Edward noted as Carlisle shut his office door behind him upstairs.

"I would hope so." I laughed at him. "We are twins after all."

Carlisle and I were changed after successfully hunting down a coven of vampires. Our father's mission as a preacher was to find and expel evil, and so he forced his two children into his work as well. Carlisle was put into schooling to succeed our fathers role as the preacher of our congregation while I was forced into work as a nun as a teenager. When our father called upon us to join the hunt for vampires, we had no choice but to answer.

Our father was largely unsuccessful when it came to finding definitive proof of vampires in our village, but he made the mistake of underestimating his children. Carlisle and I were quite intelligent humans, and were able to find a coven of vampires living in the sewers of our small village. After leading a hunt into the dwellings of the coven, Carlisle and I were both bitten. 

Except, we were separated in the chaos, and had no idea the other had been turned until many years later.

I had discovered early on into my new existence that I was gifted. I'm able to create very convincing illusions. Most of the time I use it on myself to appear as a different person. During my brother and I's separation, I used my gift to appear human as to not cause any suspicion.

When we were finally reunited, I was in Chicago at the time, working as two different nurses. One by day and one by night. A woman I had come to really admire was quickly approaching the end of her time when she begged me to save her sons life anyway I knew how. She knew something was different about me as she suspected I was the same nurse she saw during the day. I had been lonely for so long, and her teenaged son had such a pull on my heart, that I found myself listening to her plea. When Elizabeth Masen passed, I took her son Edward down to the morgue as well before sneaking him out of the hospital. I took him to my home and changed him before going downstairs...where Carlisle was waiting in my living room.

I was so thrilled to see him that I couldn't help but wrap my arms around him tightly. He was just as excited to see me as he refused to let go of me for several long moments. He had seen me leave the hospital with Edward and had come to investigate. I had dropped the illusion when I returned home and so he was quite surprised to see his twin sister coming down the stairs. Obviously, after being apart for so long, we weren't going to be separated ever again. So, he decided to stay and help me with Edward. We settled into a nice routine and before we knew it our coven began to grow.

Carlisle found a wife in Esme not long after Edward adjusted to our diet. Then came Rosalie, who Carlisle found bleeding to death after being attacked late one night. Next was Emmett, who Rosalie found while hunting deep in the woods of Tennessee. She felt their mate bond and traveled many miles to reach me at the house. She pleaded with me to save him, I couldn't deny my niece her chance at love, and so I changed him. Carlisle was quite surprised when he arrived home from the hospital that evening.