Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen
A Warning
Grace Cullen

"I can't believe it." I shook my head, repeating that sentence for the hundredth time in the past hour.

Charlie delivered a beautifully moving proposal I'm sure, but I didn't hear a word of it from the intense shock I felt. Luckily Esme recorded it for the kids and future record, so I can go back and watch it with them later, but I just couldn't wrap my mind around the concept of me getting married.

"It's a beautiful ring, Charlie." Esme fawned over it. "Alice did a good job guiding you."

"Alice?" I questioned her. "So was I the only one who didn't know you were planning this?" I asked Charlie.

"Pretty much, yes." He chuckled and Carlisle clapped his hand down on Charlie's shoulder. "It didn't feel right to not ask permission."

"He asked for your blessing?" I turned on Carlisle.

"Mine, Edward's and Emmett's, asked everyone else what they thought about it, and even told Bella she had a veto on the whole thing if she wasn't okay with it." Carlisle chuckled. "It was quite touching."

"I don't know what to say." I shook my head, marveling at the sweet man that I was somehow blessed to have been destined to be with.

"Just please don't say 'I can't believe it' anymore. It's making me anxious." Charlie chuckled and I hit at his arm playfully from across the counter.

"Three hundred and sixty-seven years just to find out I've been waiting all this time for a snarky cop." I laughed at him.

"Snarky Chief." He corrected me and we all laughed at him.

"So I'm thinking the wedding should be early August." Alice announced suddenly as she came stomping through the kitchen door with Jasper trailing close behind. She didn't even stop, just continued through the room headed for the stairs up to her bedroom. "That way you can still have at least a two week honeymoon and get away for a bit before school starts in September."

"Alice? Where are you two going?" Esme giggled at her as she began to march up the stairs while Jasper hung around in the doorframe of the kitchen.

"If I'm gonna pull off the wedding of the century I've got to get started now. It's not everyday Grace Cullen gets married people." She huffed, pausing halfway up the flight.

"You're not even going to stop to congratulate your aunt?" Esme asked her, floored completely.

Alice sighed dramatically and marched back into the room.

"Congratulations you two. Obviously, I'm thrilled. And of course I'll be your wedding planner and of course I'll get started right away." She giggled, hugging me and Charlie right before vanishing up the stairs.

"Congratulations." Jasper smiled easily, hugging me tight before offering Charlie a careful handshake. "By the way, she didn't tell anyone but me. You'll get a bigger reaction out of the others I'm sure." He chuckled before slowly climbing the stairs after Alice.

The sound of Emmett's Jeep pulling into the garage hit my ears then and the rest of the kids soon came inside.

"Hey! How was your night?!" Esme asked everyone excitedly, pulling Bella over to the kitchen island to sit in a bar stool.

"I'm gonna go ahead and confess. Mom, you should be expecting to get pulled aside Monday at school." Emmett chuckled and an awful feeling settled in my stomach.