Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven
Vampires and Human Prey
Grace Cullen
Forks, Washington

"Vampire?" I questioned him. "Who told you that I'm a vampire?"

"You are one." He stated, firm in his belief. "Don't lie to me, not now, please Grace." He begged.

"Alright." I nodded, not being able to lie to him when he said my name that way. "So, who told you?"

"Billy told me you're a vampire." He explained, walking over to the couch to sit, looking like he was in a daze. "My friend from the La Push reservation. We were fishing this morning and I told him I had a date with you. I knew he wouldn't repeat it to anyone. I thought he would be happy for me, but he told me not to see you." Charlie shook his head. "I wouldn't believe him, I thought it was just the same prejudices everyone there has against your family, until he told me to face the facts. He brought up all of the strange things I've noticed, and I put two and two together. You hide in plain sight."

"Then why did you still pick me up?" I questioned him. "If you were fearful, and suspicious, why did you still take me out tonight?"

"Because I'm obsessed with you." He confessed, putting his head into his hands. "I am not the kind of person to fall so easily, I've been on my own for years now, but there's something about you that I can't get out of my head." He sighed. "And that scares the hell out of me!" He cried out. "I should be terrified. There's an actual vampire standing in my living room and instead of being afraid I'm thrilled."

"I'm dangerous, Charlie." I spoke quietly.

"I know." He nodded, looking into my eyes. "I understand that."

"I could kill you, very easily, if I wanted to." I warned him, stepping closer to the couch.

"But do you want to?" He asked me.

"No." I shook my head, sitting on the opposite end of the couch from him. "No, I couldn't live with myself." I told him truthfully. "I know it sounds crazy, but I'm just as obsessed with you as you seem to be with me." I confessed.

"Really?" His eyes widened. "Why me?"

"I don't know." I shook my head. "Nothing like this has ever happened before, that I know of. I've never felt this way about anyone, vampire or human, and that scares me. I doubt there's ever been a relationship between a vampire and a human before." I explained softly. "There's just something about you."

"Listen, I don't know all of the logistics, and I don't know exactly what you can and can't tell me, but I don't have to know anything more than what you want me to know." He swore to me. "You're a vampire. Okay, I can deal with that. But if you don't want me to know the specifics, then I don't need to know. I'm okay not knowing if it makes things easier for you."

"You knowing period doesn't make things easy." I sighed. "Both of us could get into a lot of trouble, Charlie. We have a certain standard of rules in my world and the biggest one is that humans are not to know of our existence, let alone be in a romantic relationship with someone of my kind."

"So, what's the penalty?" He asked me seriously.

"Death." I responded. "To you, me, and my family if they find out."

"What about Bella?" He asked.

"Well, if she didn't know anything, I don't think the lawmakers would hurt her." I shook my head.

"Then we'll be careful. No one has to know." He spoke passionately.

"Charlie, are you really willing to risk your life just to be with me?" I asked him.