Epilogue

Epilogue
Grace Cullen-Swan

"Grace? Can I talk to you?" Bella asked nervously as she hovered at the base of the stairs, her voice still sounding hollow, however there was a strange new glimmer of life behind her eyes that gave me some hope.

"Of course." I nodded eagerly, carefully lifting my hurt leg off of the couch as I sat up and motioned for her to come join me.

Honestly, I was amazed. After Edward left, Bella wouldn't respond to anything or anyone. I had to fight her to take showers, force her to eat, and even had to soothe her to sleep to avoid her horrific nightmares. After recovering some, she was just a zombie going through the motions of school and dinner before retreating to her room to hide underneath her covers. The Bella before me now was a fast and major improvement.

"What do you want to talk about sweetheart?" I asked her softly as she sat beside me.

"I know I've been a mess. I've really worried you and Dad. You're still hurt and yet you've been doing everything you can to make sure I stay alive, when you don't have to." She sighed deeply. "I'm so sorry I've been so selfish."

"Bella, it's okay." I smiled softly at her, taking her hands in mine. "We understand that you're hurting. I understand. They left me too." I confessed to her. "But your dad and I want you to know that we're here for you, no matter what."

"No matter what?" She asked, suddenly very concentrated on her hands in mine.

"No matter what." I swore to her. "Are you alright?" I asked her, knowing it was an awful question to ask but not knowing how else to phrase it. "You don't seem like you're okay, health wise."

"Dad's still at work, right?" She asked. "I only want to talk to you about this right now."

"Yes, he's working late tonight. Bella, just tell me what's wrong." I practically begged her.

"On my birthday," she blurted out, looking incredibly shaky and nervous "when you and Dad spent the night at the station working on the incident down at La Push, Edward came back to the house with me to make sure I would be okay." She ranted as if she were confessing something.

"Okay, I know he used to spend the night with you quite frequently." I told her, not understanding what she thought she did wrong.

"I just didn't know he was already planning on leaving, I didn't understand it was a goodbye pity thing, I thought he loved me and-" she broke down sobbing and I quickly tucked her into my side tightly in reassurance. I finally understood what she was trying to tell me. "I'm so sorry Grace." She cried.

"Bella, there's nothing to apologize for. You did nothing wrong." I assured her. "You slept with him, someone you loved and trusted and consented to. There is nothing wrong with that." I cooed, trying to stop her tears.

"Grace, I know it sounds crazy, but-but-" She stuttered.

"Bella, breathe, calm down and just tell me what's-"

"I think I'm pregnant."

~fin~

****************************************
Sequel titled F.T.A. Failure to Appear