14. Orlando

Orlando

I didn't want to leave Mariana, not even for a minute. Dad was right, when you knew you knew and this woman was it for me. I never realized I could be such a romantic as to believe in love at first sight, turns out I was. Maybe it was something in our biology, maybe the merman gene caused us to pick a lifelong mate; like angelfish.

My head was still in the clouds, despite the news of a break in aboard the Undaunted. We had issues like that from time to time, with only a small crew the ship could appear an easy target to vandals and thieves. Especially since we were the type of vessel to carry expensive diving gear. Too bad for them that we actually had very little gear of that kind, they'd probably come up empty handed.

As I traveled down the corridor, back onto the Yerseke's deck I wondered how quickly I could be done. I wanted to return and climb back in bed with my woman, convince her to come live aboard the Undaunted with me. Convince her to meet my family, commit to me.

I'd take committing to work on some research together while I convinced her to make this relationship long term. How did you convince a woman you'd only met a day ago to be yours for life? Would be much easier if we were simple angelfish...

I was still pondering that, not nearly as aware of my surroundings as I should have been. I never saw the hit coming. Just felt a sudden sharp pain in the back of my head and then... blackness.

*

I know this bit was really short but it was too good a cliffhanger to pass up on 😉 ;-).

Much love
Robin