three | bridge and tunnel

-THREE-

Magnolia sat next to her mother, reading a newspaper as the 'Captain America Adventure Program' played on the radio. "And now it's time for The Captain America Adventure Program, brought to you by Roxxon Motor Oil. Tonight's thrilling tale takes us deep into the heart of the Ardennes forest, where Hitler's Nazi guard have ambushed the 107th Infantry, and taken Betty Carver, the battalion's beautiful triage nurse..." A train whistle blew, "As their hostage." 

Magnolia wrinkled her nose in distaste, "Of course. Kidnap the woman and use her as bait. How original." 

"You lousy krauts are in big trouble once Captain America gets here." Said the voice actress for Betty. "Is 'Carver' Supposed to sound like 'Carter'? Because neither of us talk like a breathless, lovesick woman." Snapped Magnolia. 

"When I'm through with you, Hitler, you're gonna be seeing stars, and stripes!" Replied the voice actor for Steve. The girl slammed her newspaper on the counter in annoyance, causing Peggy to glare at her, "Nola, calm." 

"Nein! You will bow down to the Fuhrer!" Said a man, who Magnolia guessed as Hitler. She clenched her fist and scowled, something Peggy noticed and asked Angie, "Angie, would you mind changing that?" 

"Oh you bet." Nodded the Italian. "Arlene French beat me out for that part." She added as she changed the channel to jazz music. She cleared her throat and recited, "'You lousy Krauts are in big trouble once Captain America gets here!' It's better, right?"

"Thrillingly realistic." Smiled Magnolia. Angie's eye landed on the newspaper Peggy was reading and asked, "You moving?" 

Caught, Peggy replied, "I, uh, lost my roommate." 

"My first place, I lived with this girl from Queens. It was okay for maybe six months, and then... Barn! One day, she's engaged. Next day, she's married and living in Armonk." Angie wrinkled her nose in distaste as she narrated the end, making Magnolia gasp, "You think you know people." 

"'Cozy studio apartment.'" Angie read out, "That means it's a broom closet." Her comment made the girl look up sharply as she continued, "'Convenient to public transportation...' You'll be living under the Third Avenue El."

"What would you suggest?" Asked Peggy, feeling rather lost. "Girl down the hall from me just moved out. Couldn't hack it, I guess. She was always crying to her mother on the hall phone." The younger woman shrugged nonchalantly. ""Oh, poor thing." Magnolia sympathized.

"Yeah, maybe the first couple times." Scoffed the waitress, "It's real safe, lots of great girls. Plus, I'd be your neighbor, so that's not nothing." Her tone switched to one of excitement, and Peggy chuckled, "Oh, it's a lovely idea, but I'd hate for you to grow tired of me." 

"You don't strike me as the "crying on the hall phone" type, English. And I don't see Nellie here as someone who doesn't know how to socialise." Smirked Angie. "I hate that nickname." Magnolia scowled, sipping on her tea. "Too bad, it's gonna stick now." Angie winked.

"I appreciate it, truly, but, um..." Peggy racked her brains for an answer, "I'm actually on my way to see an apartment now." 

"At this hour?" Angie was a bit surprised. "You sure you're reading the right kind of want-ads?"

"It comes recommended through a friend." Magnolia's voice was slightly higher as she referred to Michael as a friend. 

"If you say so." Angie shrugged.

--Time Skip--

Peggy, Magnolia, Michael and Edwin walked down a long corridor while Edwin explained, "You presumably already noticed the North German Renaissance influences, but the layout is decidedly French."