four | time and tide

A/N: I missed a few scenes from 'Bridge and Tunnel', so I'm gonna put those last few scenes here, okay? Okay. 
Don't forget to comment, loves~
---

-FOUR-

Magnolia accompanied Peggy as the pair followed Angie into a grand-looking building named 'The Griffith'. 

"You're gonna love living here." Grinned Angie, her excitement bringing a smile to Magnolia's face. 

"Assuming I'm accepted," Chuckled Peggy, "I've never rented a flat which required an interview..." 

"It's just a formality. You'll ace it, Miriam's a total pussycat." Angie brushed off their concerns airily and led them to Miriam Fry's office.

"Your references are impeccable. Senator Palmer is especially complimentary." Miriam Fry was a small lady in what looked like her mid-fifties, and spoke in an overly proper tone which made Magnolia want to vomit. "He and my father were dear friends." Peggy smiled. Magnolia stood next to her mother quietly, one hand gripping the wrist of the other as she kept it resting in front of her politely. 

"Were you limping as you came in?" Asked the woman, scrutinizing Peggy with seamstress-like precision. "Caught my heel on a cobblestone. You know how West Village is." The agent replied, keeping her smile consistent.

"I never travel below 23rd Street, so no I do not," Miriam said in subtle distaste. Magnolia switched her hands to clamp them behind her back as to hide from the hawk-like woman her clenched fists. "How long do you see yourself working for the...telephone company?" 

"Only till I have remarried, Miss Fry." Peggy lied smoothly. Magnolia knew her mother would never stop working for said 'telephone company', and suppressed a smirk. 

Miriam turned to Magnolia, her features turning sharper, into a look of a headmistress. "Young lady, what is your name?" She asked. 

"Magnolia Margret Carter, Miss Fry." She said, standing straighter and with more confidence. 

"How old are you, Magnolia?" She asked, eyeing her as if she was trying to dare her into making an error. Catching on, Magnolia curtly replied, "I'm fifteen, Miss Fry." 

"Do you have any hobbies, Magnolia?" 

"I do ballet, and occasionally play the piano." 

Satisfied with her answer, Miriam nodded, "In a city filled with temptation, debauchery, and mischief, the Griffith Hotel is a haven for proper young ladies. Our code of conduct is indisputable. Attire should be demure and elegant. Curfew is 10:00. No drinking. No men above the first floor." She smiled sweetly, dropping her firm tone, "No exceptions. Is that clear, Miss Carter?" She looked at the pair. 

"Perfectly." Smiled Peggy.

--Time Skip--

Dooley, Thompson, Krzeminski and Sousa, all of whom were discussing the nightclub photos. Magnolia's head was bent as she looked through one of the most recently archived files, and her gait was quick as she tried walking past without being noticed, but failed as Dooley beckoned her over, "Carter, come here for a second." She looked up sharply and snapped the file shut, moving over to him. 

"Settle a bet for us." He showed her a photo, and using his index finger tapped on a man's image, "Is that Joe DiMaggio?" 

Squinting at the image and furrowing her brows, Magnolia curtly replied, "I'm afraid I don't follow boxing, despite knowing a few things myself."