Part 10

Dear Mum,

I had pizza at Abe's for his birthday and he completely ignored me the whole time, except when he asked me if I had ever been to a Bar Mitzvah. Because, if I had, he said, then he wanted me to know that his was just around the corner and it was going to be E-PIC.

Rather than say I didn't know what a Bar Mitzvah was, I asked him to paint a picture of his, but he said there wasn't anything planned just yet. Then he checked with me again if I was Jewish because he couldn't remember my response from the first time we met. I told him I wasn't Jewish but I joked that this was not a problem because, at the end of the day, everyone here is a HOMO. I was super-proud of myself because I was using the real, scientific word for mankind.

Finally, I felt like I had some expertise that Abe didn't have, and from the look on his face, he was impressed. He must have decided that I was on another level because, after that, he was non-stop asking his mum when I was leaving so that he could watch the Lion King alone with Elena. I took it on the chin because I've been suspecting that Abe is madly in love with Elena since our first meeting in the square. He's not very nice to me, but I know he's nice to Elena. And she is very pretty. Her wavy hair is almost blond and her eyes are honey-green. Not that I think I'm ugly by comparison. I have my cheeky smile and my smooth, cinnamon skin and long lashes that give me Bambi eyes.

I don't like feeling I'm in the way of there being a love story between Elena and Abe, so I have decided to become the perfect friend to Elena by working on making friends with Gigli—and even Abe—and everyone I can.

To start with, I will be inviting everyone in my class, as well as Abe to my 10th birthday. Elena will be so happy to see all of the people who my arrival in Buenos Aires has pushed away. Though she never complains, it's clear from Gigli and Abe that they wish I'd never been born. Gigli even asked Silvio, a boy that she sits next to in class, to ask me if there was any chance I could go back to where I came from...so...I know the unhappiness is real.

I've been thinking about what activities we could do together while Nona was in the bathroom with me. (Me bathing and her taking her millionth pee of the day). After some brainstorming out loud, we felt an old-fashioned football game would be perfect. No team divisions just passes and dribbles, and I already know we all have a love of football in common.

Speak soon

Zelia

Is a game of football the best way for Zelia to win over every kid's friendship or will it be a disaster? 

Vote and find out ;-)