Chapter-2

Episode-1 {Pilot} Part-2

Avian's POV

MYSTIC HIGH SCHOOL

High school is as boring for me as it has been for the last century. Same calculations. Same history I pretty much lived through. The only reason I have even thought about high school is to spend more of little time with Stef.

The next day, I'm in my first period, History. The teacher, Mr Tanner, rants about the battle of our very own Mystic Falls.

"The battle of Willow Creek took place right at the war's end in Mystic Falls. How many casualties resulted in this battle?" He asks. "Ms Bennet?"

"Um...a lot?" Bonnie guesses, making the rest of the class chuckle. "I'm not sure. Like a whole lot."

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms. Bennett," said Mr. Tanner. "Mr. Donovan?" He continued by shifting his gaze towards Matt. "Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?"

Matt gave a thumbs up to Tanner and replied, "It's okay, Mr. Tanner, I'm cool with it." Everyone chuckled again

"Hmm." I could tell everyone was so annoyed by the Tanner guy. "Elena?" He asked her. "Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significant historical events?" Elena shook her head and replied politely, "I'm sorry, I--I don't know." 

"I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Elena," Tanner said. and I immediately frowned. Stefan had told me that her parents had died during a car crash and high school teachers commenting out of it is not the ideal thing.

"But the personal excuses ended with summer break," added Tanner. And now I do not like this teacher. Coping with the loss of your parents is never easy. I can completely understand what Elena is feeling.

"There were 346 casualties." Me and Stefan said in sync. "Unless you're counting local civilians", I added.

"That's correct. Mister and Miss...?", asked Tanner.

"Salvatore", said Stefan.

"Alberty", I replied.

"An Alberty and a Salvatore.", Tanner said curiously. "Any relation to the original settlers here at Mystic Falls?"

"Distinct", we replied in sync once again.

"Well, very good. Except, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle.", said Mr. Tanner very confidently to the class.

"Actually, there were 27, sir," I said as a matter of fact. I'm good with facts like these as living in most of these times."She is right, sir. Confederate soldiers, fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. They were wrong." Stefan backed me up. "It was a night of great loss.", I added.

"The founder's archives are, uh, stored in the civil hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts, Mr. Tanner.", Stefan said sassily. Tanner just hummed.

And all day long I couldn't shake off the look of embarrassment on Tanner's face after being proven wrong by the new student.