2 / maureen

IT was worth it fighting for her own unit at Blue Residences instead of occupying the small storage room in her brother's condo at Burgundy.

Hindi alam ni Maureen kung paano siya titira sa kwarto katabi ng kay Kuya Inggo. Kung paano siya makakatulog nang alam niyang may kasama siyang babae over at the next wall. Kung paano niya sasalabungin si Kuya Inggo sa kusina sa umaga o madadaanan papunta sa banyo sa gabi. Kung paano niya titingnan nang diretso sa mata o pakikinggan ang boses knowing what he looks, sounds, and feels like in bed.

Her Kuya Migo and Ate Jiya just finished dropping the last of her things in her room when Kuya Inggo lugs in her last box. Maureen drops her smile and points at the corner. "There. Thanks."

He looks up at her, blinks once, and puts it down.

Kuya Migo frowns, panting and dusting his hands off. "Mau, thank him properly."

"It's fine," Kuya Inggo says with a dazzling smile. Putangina.

He rubs the nape of his neck as he turns to her and says, "Um, good luck sa first year."

"Thanks, Kuya Inggo," she mutters, then bounds over to Ate Jiya and Kuya Migo to give them kisses on the cheek. "Thanks so much, uwi na kayo!"

Kuya Migo turns back around at the door, his arm around his girlfriend. "Hoy, 'wag kang mag-uuwi dito ng kung sino-sino, ha."

Maureen sighs, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. Kaya nga ayaw niya rin sa Burgundy e. Kuya Migo insisted to their mother na doon na lang siya tumira with him, pero alam ni Maureen na all he'd be doing is breathe down her neck.

She's thankful he raised her and Megan, pero minsan, napaka-overprotective niya, feeling niya she's still thirteen years old.

He still sees her as a kid. If Kuya Inggo, who's still standing by the hallway, waiting for them and watching the exchange, never took her up on her offer, she'd be pretty sure na bata lang din ang tingin niya kay Maureen.

"Kuya, come on. This is my condo. I'm pretty sure I can invite whoever I want to here."

His eyes flare at the insinuation. "Mau—"

"Baby," Ate Jiya intervenes, raising an eyebrow at him. "Remember what we talked about? Maureen is in college na, she's a big girl, she can make her own decisions..." She trails off, giving him another pointed look and tilting her head to the side.

Maureen could kiss Ate Jiya's feet.

"I love you, Ate," she mouths to her future sister-in-law. Maureen is pretty sure pakakasalan siya ng kuya niya.

Ate Jiya winks at her.

Kuya Migo's face twists uncomfortably, but his shoulders slump in defeat. He narrows his eyes at Maureen's victorious face and grits out, "Fine, pero if wala kang kasama palakad pauwi, tawagan mo 'ko."

Her argument is already prepared. "I can walk home alone—"

"'Yon na lang, Mau," Kuya Migo cuts her off, clenching his jaw. "'Wag 'pag gabi, 'yon lang. Delikado papunta dito from school, intindi mo 'ko?"

"Fine, fine, yes." Maureen nods profusely, pushing them out. "I'll call you 'pag wala akong kasama pauwi, I promise. Bye, ingat!"

Satisfied, they finally leave.

While she's eating dinner in the middle of unpacking, stuffing siomai in her mouth, her phone buzzes.

Her jaw drops open.

First text ni Kuya Inggo sa kanya. Ever.

Kuya Inggo: you can call me rin if wala kang
kasama pauwi. Don't walk home alone, Rinn.