Reunited

Rick’s return was wholly unexpected, but very much welcomed by his family. The day had started out normal, with you doing chores around camp. Some of the group had left on a run and you all were waiting for their return. 

“Hey girl.” a voice behind you spoke, startling you. You turn around to see Shane grinning. 

“Shane, you scared me. Jerk.” you grumble. 

“Just keeping you on your toes. Hungry?” he asked. 

“Nowadays? Always.” 

“Well, look what Dale found in one of the cabinets.” Shane presented the granola bars to you ceremoniously. Your eyes widened. 

“Wow, how did he just find these?” you take one. 

“Man, I don’t know, but I’m glad he did. They’re like a few months out of date but they should be okay. Box was sealed and everything.” he shrugs as you unwrap it. You take a big bite, savoring it. It did taste a little off but compared to what you’ve been eating it was heaven. 

You wrap your arms around Shane’s neck, and he tentatively hugs you back. 

“You almost done here?” he asks. You nod. 

“Yeah, I just gotta give everyone their stuff back.” you reply. Shane was about to respond when a loud alarm could be heard coming up the hill. 

“What the hell?” Shane walked quickly away, grabbing his shotgun off the chair he had left it on when he came to talk to you. You walk over to Lori and Carl to watch from a distance. 

The source of the noise became apparent as a red Dodge Challenger pulled up in front of the RV. Glenn hops out excitedly. 

“Dude, shut it off! You trying to get us killed?” Shane yells. 

“I don’t know how!”

“Pop the hood. Pop the damn hood please.” Shane slams his hand on it. Glenn opens the door and pops the hood while everyone is still questioning him about the others. Jim quietly reaches a hand in and stops the alarm. 

“Where are the others?” Amy asks. She was very worried about her older sister Andrea. 

“They should be right behind me.” 

Sure enough, a few minutes later a box truck pulls up behind the Challenger. 

“Oh, and there’s a new guy. He’s a cop, like you.” Glenn says. From the back, the first one out is Andrea. Amy runs up to her and gives her a tight hug, wailing how happy she is. You see the others filing out of the back. The driver seems to be taking a minute to step out. 

When he does, you notice a police uniform. Carl sees it first. The man looks up and sees Lori and Carl, seeming to recognize them. Carl takes off running toward the man and Lori follows. You look over at Shane who seems shocked to see him as well. 

You walk over to him. 

“Is that...him?” you ask. 

“Yeah, that’s him.” he puts an arm around your shoulders. You lean into him. The man looks up at you two and nods at Shane. Lori turns her head to look at you then looks at her husband. 

“We should probably talk.”