Stay

You wake up and get ready for the day, finding Shane was already up and gone. You say good morning to everyone as you pass by, and grab a quick bite before starting your chores. Rick was convincing some of the others to go with him. 

“Shane doesn’t think you should go, and neither do I. You just got back.” Lori is telling him. 

“We need those guns, Lori. And I can’t leave a man up there to die. I have to try to make it right.” Rick replies. 

“Well, that’s my brother, so I’m going.” Daryl says. 

Eventually, Glenn and T-Dog agree to go with Rick and Daryl. You stop Rick on his way to the van. 

“Please be safe.” you tell him. You didn’t want to lose your dad when you had just met him. He smiles a little and wraps an arm around you. 

“I will be back before you know it.” he vows. You hug him tight, and he kisses your head. As you watch them leave, Shane comes up and wraps an arm around you. 

“You think he’ll be okay?” you ask quietly. 

“Of course he will.” Shane replies. 

Lori comes to sit next to you while you’re folding blankets. You give her a smile in greeting. 

“So, must be great to meet your dad, huh?” she asks. 

“Yeah, he seems real nice.” you reply. She looks around the camp. 

“He is. He’s a good dad.” 

“I bet. Carl seems really happy.” you fold a blanket and add it to a basket. 

“Yeah, he is,” she’s quiet for a few moments. “You know, your dad and Shane have been friends for years.”

“Oh yeah, Shane was telling me. He knew my mom too.” you smile. 

“Is it weird sharing a tent with him? Especially with Rick back…” she trails off. 

“No? Why would… it be?” you look at her and press your lips together. You realize what she’s trying to do. “Shane’s my friend.” 

“I get that. I do. It just seems a little… odd.”

Before you can retort, Carl runs over and tells Lori to help him with his work. Carol and Lori were doing their best to teach their children, since school was obviously no longer an option. She gives you a quick glance as she follows her son to the table they were working at. You continue to fold, a little angry at this point. 

“Hey, what’s going on?” Shane had seen Lori talking to you, and noticed your soured expression after she walked away. 

“Oh nothing. Just Miss Step Mom thinks it’s inappropriate for us to be sharing a tent.” you say. He’s crouched down in front of you and touches your knee gently. 

“Look at me, it’s alright. What exactly did she say?” he asks. 

“She asked me if it’s weird sharing a tent with you, especially with my dad back, and that it seems a little odd.” you tell him. He rolls his eyes and sighs.