Epilouge

Five Years Later

Shane didn’t end up keeping his promise to Rick, as you ended up pregnant with your first child a few months later. You were lucky to have the safety of the farm and the help of Hershel when you gave birth the following Fall. It wouldn’t last however, as the farm was overrun shortly after your son was born. 

It was terrifying, but your husband, fearless as always, got you out safely. Others weren’t so lucky, including Rick’s wife, as you bounced around from place to place, trying to find a safe home. Finally, with your group whittled down to almost half of its original size, you found a safe community. It was large and guarded by a gate, patrolled by the others who had welcomed you into the community. Shane and Rick were happy to join in helping patrol. They became strong leaders of the community, helping fix the holes that were already starting to form within it. 

You were sitting on your porch with your son, waiting for your husband to get home. It was hard to believe you actually had a home in these times. You shared it with your dad and brother, the Peletiers lived next door with Daryl. Across the street lived Maggie and Glenn. 

Rickie looks up from his toys and sees his dad and grandpa walking up, chatting with each other. 

“Daddy!” he screams, jumping off the porch and running as fast as his chubby little legs would carry him. Shane kneels down and scoops up his son. You couldn’t believe it to be possible to fall more in love with him, but you had over the years. He had grown his hair back out, making him look just how he did when you met him. He was a great dad and loved his son very much. 

Your dad gets your son’s attention and smiles at him. You stand up. 

“Dad, can you take Rickie? I need to talk to Shane.” you say. Both men look at you. 

“Come here buddy, let’s see if there are any cookies left. Or if your uncle ate them all.” your dad said, hitching him onto his hip. Rickie scream laughs. 

“There’s a few, bottom cabinet on the left.” you say as your dad passes by. He kisses your head and walks inside with your son. Your brother had a penchant for inhaling any sweets you made before anyone else could get at them. Made sense as he was a growing boy. He had shot up taller than you in the last few years. He was almost as tall as your dad. 

Shane stands at the bottom of the stairs, eyeing you up and down. 

“Darlin’, have I told you how good you look lately?” he says. 

“Yes, ‘bout every five minutes. Come up here.” you reply. He hops up onto the porch and pulls you into a kiss. 

“What’s going on?” he presses his forehead against yours when he pulls away from the kiss. You take a deep breath and look into his eyes. 

“I’m pregnant.”